Avocado Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cpeyus, Nov 30, 2005.

1. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Will an avocado plant started from a seed in the kitchen window mature & produce? I've had a volunteer peach tree that produced quite a bit of fruit in its 3rd year...unfortunately, we lost that tree, but we're starting others!

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It can take from 2-6 years to produce fruit, but they do...be patient!

3. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Thanks - I can muster up the patience if there's a likelihood it'll work...I just didn't want to put time & effort into it if it wouldn't produce! Thanks again! I'll keep it growing, then...:)

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Guard em with your life,animals love em.Deer wiped out all my sisters when they were in 3 foot size.

PS,wiped out the 3 foot avocados,not my 3 foot sisters. :eek:

BooBoo :buds:

5. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Do they have to be in the ground outside, or will they produce in a pot in the house? We love avocados, but don't live in an appropriate zone to have them outside year round.

6. birdie_poo

I'll second that..my emu eat the leaves like they are candy!

7. birdie_poo

They will do ok in a pot, if you re pot it as it grows. These trees get really, really big...30-50'

8. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

How on earth does one harvest avocados on a 30 to 50 foot tree?

Ox

9. birdie_poo

A picker on a telescoping pole!

Or...just wait until the wind drops them or they fall on their own!

10. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

booboo - I'm glad your sisters are ok :)

I can't wait to see if I get anything from these trees...guess I'll have to wait tho!

11. mightybooboo

I had a buddy who somehow topped his avocados,keeping trees in the 15-20 foot range.Dont know exactly how he did it though.But Mr. Greenthumb for sure(outrageous flower gardens,etc.)The branches sort of hang low,not hard to get your fruit off the trees.

He grew his from seed in the City of Orange,next to Anaheim.They grew insanely fast down there,absolutely perfect enviornment,no freeze,moderating ocean breeze.

Now my sisters',hers never really grew bigger than 15 feet,looked more like tall shrubs.They had theirs as a hedge pretty much.Very easy to harvest.I have no idea why hers were like that.

BooBoo

12. birdie_poo

I do that with certain fruit trees...I wait until the are established, then lop off the top of the tree from the trunk to prevent it fromgetting taller. That may be how your friend does it.

13. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

so how do you start them? We had guacamole last nite a,d one of the pits looked like a bulb that was about to sprout. I really want to get it in the dirt but i don't want to mess up!

14. mightybooboo

Theres a couple pictures on the link,below link is the story

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1999/7-16-1999/sproutav.html

Horticulture
    Sprouting an Avocado Seed
    Avocado seed

Avocados have increased in popularity over the last few years. They are used in salads, dips, etc. Inside there is an added bonus. The pit or seed can be sprouted. The result is an interesting and attractive houseplant.
    Avocado plant

To sprout the seed, remove the large seed from the center of the fruit and wash it in water. For propagation purposes, the broad end of the seed is considered to be the bottom. The pointed end is the top. Insert several toothpicks into the sides of the seed. They should be placed about halfway up the pit. Then suspend the seed in a glass of water. The bottom one fourth of the seed should rest in water.

The seed should sprout within a few weeks. During this time, periodically add water to maintain the initial water level. If it doesn't sprout within 2 to 3 months, discard the original avocado and begin another. The roots are usually the first to emerge from the seed. The stem appears later. Pot the seedling when the root system has become well developed; the roots should be at least 2 to 3 inches long.

Remove the toothpicks and plant into a 6 to 8 inch pot using a commercial potting mix. Position the seed in the center of the pot. The top of the seed should be level with the soil surface. After potting, water thoroughly, then place the plant in a brightly lit location. A location near an east or west window is ideal. Water the plant regularly. Keep the soil moist, but not wet. Fertilize once or twice a month during the spring and summer with a houseplant fertilizer.

Avocado plants grow rapidly. They often have to be discarded after 2 or 3 years because they've become too large for indoors. (The avocado is actually a tree. It will never produce fruit indoors as it may take 20 or more years to bear fruit.)

This article originally appeared in the July 16, 1999 issue, p. 96.
    Prepared by Richard Jauron, Department of Horticulture
    Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
    This information subject to a usage policy. [Search]
    [Horticulture and Home Pest News]
    [Integrated Pest Management]
    Last updated 7/13/99 by John VanDyk
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1999/7-16-1999/sproutav.html

15. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I've got 3 seeds started...even if it takes many years to get the fruit, they'll be great houseplants, til I put 'em outside!

16. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, I am avocado challenged. I have tried at least a dozen times to get an avocado pit to sprout. Not a single one has ever even put out a root. I just end up with a half rotten avocado pit in the windowsill. :mad:

17. mightybooboo

Do you have the pointy side up?3 toothpicks stuck in just far enough to support the seed? just enough water to cover the bottom of the seed?

BooBoo