Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone measure the cud of the adult cow and tell me it's weight and dimensions?

If you can make a picture with the ruler, it will be even better.

Google research shows that average weight of a cow cud is 100 grams. Is this correct?

Thanks.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,451 Posts
Michigan State University has done massive amounts of research on cattle digestive tract. They have had cattle with a port in her side giving direct access to digestive content, including cud.
A cud is brought up for chewing, so would be a variable amount, but always the amount that a cow can comfortably chew.

Sort of an odd question without any context on why you might ponder cud size.

·
Registered
507 Posts
ok I admit I got no clue at all what its size would be other than agree its whats comfortable to bring back up ----BUT

I JUST HAVE TO ASK WHY YOUR ASKING THIS its got my brain going wild with wondering why your asking ??? slightly because it might help someone answer it properly ,,,,,but MOSTLY JUST BECAUSE IT MADE ME ASK WHY YOUD ASK :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to verify the claim that cud averages 100 grams across all adult cattle. It should be roughly identical.
I am doing research on rumination and cows.

I would really appreciate the answer. Is no one here owns a cow ?

Thanks. Hope this clarifies the reason.

·
Registered
507 Posts
well now that I know why ---I can tell you that a huge bull doesn't compare to a much smaller breed of cattle ---so theres no way a smaller breed of cow can regurjatate as much as a much larger bull can --if hes 2x her weight and his throats bigger he can pull up more ---so theres no way id ever belive all have the same sized cuds

back when I did have cows as a youth I never actually weighed them but from looking at a bull that weighed closer to 3x the sixe of our farms cattle while at a auction --I commented to my dad about that huge bull chewing more than our cattle could even fit in their mouths ---so id have to say I absolutely WOULD ARGUE AGAINST them being all the same --BUT I CANT PROVE IT --both because I never measured them & even if I had ,,,its not like I woulda saved them emasurements

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Thanks. It is not very helpful but thanks.

So what do you think they mean in these articles I provided? What does it mean when they say that cud weighs 100 grams?

There is almost no information about cud on the internet so I am trying to fill this void by my research. Cud is a very important part of rumination so I do not understand why no one ever bothered to measure it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
well id be guessing without reading it all and falling asleep trying :( but im pretty sure they are averaging the cud they from whatever breed thy were testing on ??? as they said 100-120
and as important a cud chewing is to cows --im very very surprised theres not ore info about it ---fterall a commercial grow lot and EVERY dairy could benefit from having their cows get better efficiency of thier feeds---you might be onto a very lucrative research grant there :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I only found one research on this and I quote:

"Effect of Seasonal Herbage Allowance on Bolus Weights of Cattle", by Jerry W. Stuth and Raymond F. Angell from the Journal of Range Management (Society of Range Management, Vol 35, No. 2, March 1982).

"Herbage allowances varying from 15.4 to 3.4 kg DM/100 kg BW/day did not have a significant effect on bolus weights in mature cows grazing bahiagrass pastures during mid-summer and early winter (P less or equal 0.05). Cow size and season of the year also had no significant effect on bolus weight. Bolus weight of the cows averaged 4.4(+/-0.1)g across seasons and cows."
But these are internal boluses as far as I understand. But I need actual cud bolus from the cow's mouth or the one you can sometimes find lying around when the cow loses it.

Can someone help here?

·
18,451 Posts
I am trying to verify the claim that cud averages 100 grams across all adult cattle. It should be roughly identical.
I am doing research on rumination and cows.

I would really appreciate the answer. Is no one here owns a cow ?

Thanks. Hope this clarifies the reason.
You are doing research and you want others to dig out a few cuds, throw down a ruler and send you some photographs after weighing it.
"Is no one here owns a cow?" sounds rude and impatient.
Then you post a cud photo, like no one knows what cud is. Did you intend it to be condescending?
"Ok. Thanks. It is not very helpful but thanks." Did you intend that comment to be rude, sarcastic or both?

Glad you found this site. There are many people with a wealth of experiences and most are willing to share their knowledge. Sometimes the information is wrong, sometimes it is correct. I can't think of any reason any long time cattle farmers would be weighing their cow's cud. To expect this site is a research facility, waiting to collect data for your project is unrealistic.
Odd, just plain odd.

·
Registered
507 Posts
hey haypoint --I don't think their trying to be rude --I certainly didn't get offended ---I think their just frustrated & maybe didn't word things very politely because of being frustrated

heck I know I can be a total a-hole when im frustrated --without even meaning to be & sometimes that brain-too-mouth filter just turns off whne im in pain or frustrated or my minds concentrating too much on something ---heck I know when im confused and trying to ask a question I cant get the question out properly & either get upset (with myself) or flat out turn into a jerk because im frustrated

so im sure they didn't mean any offence to anyone :)

Reactions: nehimama

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I've never seen a cud and kind of hope that I don't. Alex8646, I think you'd be more successful if you were to contact universities, vet schools, research facilities, and similar places. You might get an answer there.

·
18,451 Posts
I've never seen a cud and kind of hope that I don't. Alex8646, I think you'd be more successful if you were to contact universities, vet schools, research facilities, and similar places. You might get an answer there.
"Ok. Thanks. It is not very helpful but thanks." :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts