Auuugh! Mama kitty question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Auugh!

6 month old kitten. NOT old enough to spay yet, my vet doesn't spay until they're six months and she just turned that at best guess (she was a rescue in mid september, I'd guess she was two months old then.) Came into heat at five months, I managed to keep her inside then, but she slipped outside again today (I have no idea how -- she's an inside kitty) and when I realized she was loose -- yeah, you guessed it, the nasty orange feral tomcat that pees in my hay was having his way with her under the house. I realized she was loose when I heard the yowling coming from roughly under my feet ...

She's not a big kitten -- she's not going to be that big of a kitty when she's full grown. She's at that all-legs, skinny, gangly "teenage" stage right now. Assuming she catches, does she have ANY chance of carrying kittens to term or should I start calling around for an emergency spay? (I've never had a kitten come into heat as young or immature-looking as this one has.)

Bright side -- if she does carry them to term, they'll all be gingers and calicos, which at least will be easy to place.

Leva

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

As a breeder of Toy Poodles for years, I can tell you that it is not optimal for an animal that young to be pregnant. She still needs all of her energy to grow herself, not a litter of kittens. I would have her spayed. She will probably be able to carry them and birth them, but it's not what's best for her.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Yes, you can have her spayed. It's anybody's guess as to whether or not she's physcially able to carry the litter to term safely. I had a young Golden, two years old, who we lost when her uterus ruptured with a litter of 14. Not normal, but she was certainly old enough. On the other had, I had a lamb come in season at 4 months while the ram was still here. He was due to leave, but evidently it wasn't soon enough as she surprised us with a lamb 5 1/2 months later...both mom and babe were, for the most part, just fine. So it really does depend on the individual circumstance.

If it were me, I guess I'd just bite the bullet and pay for the spay. It'll cost a wee bit more with her in season/pregnant, but if you were planning on spaying her anyway, and don't want to risk the possible loss later, best to do it.

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I had a kitty that got pregnant when she was 5 1/2 months old too. She had a litter of 5 and did just fine.

5. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd spay. Hard on the cat to have kittens when she's so young.

6. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Why is it an emergency spaying? She's 6 months old just have your vet spay her next week, it's the right time anyways.

Our vet wants them 6 months old, and doesn't care about their pregnancy state.

Well she carry it? More than likely, or well there would be a lot less barn cats out there.

7. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

We had a kitten 8 years ago that got pregnant at five months old. She gave birth fine but wouldn't take care of the two kittens. She acted afraid of them. Her mother had kittens of her own the next day. So she took her grandbaby kittens and raised them with her own.As soon as kittens were weaned I had both cats spayed. Our third cat managed to be spayed without first geting pregnant. Grandma Cat is 13 years now and her two daughters are 9 years old. If we everwant more kittens we will get them from the shelter. Linda

8. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

If you spay her now there its really not different from an unpregnant cat at this point from a surgical perspective. If you don't tell the vet he probably won't be able to tell anyway.

Also, you can tell you vet to research early spaying. Its becoming a really common practice to spay and neuter young kittens and has been shown not to cause any harm plus you don't run into the situation you have now.

9. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I'll second spring77 on the early spaying. I had all of my kittens spayed/neutered at 12 weeks and they're all doing fine. Of course that doesn't help you out in your situation.

I'd go ahead and get her spayed now. From your post it sounds like you aren't planning on keeping any of the kittens, so why bring an unwanted litter into the world? There's plenty of kittens looking for homes already. I had a mama cat dumped at my house that was so preganant she looked like she was going to pop at any moment, any my vet was still able to spay her. It did cost a bit more but in my opinion it was worth it.