Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread here recently talking about putting together an automatic watering system involving PVC pipe and, I think, a 5-gallon bucket. The thread was deleted by the mods due to the actions of the OP, and unfortunately, the rest of the info went with it.

Would the person who described the watering system please repost? Anyone else with good ideas along these lines is welcome to chime in, as well! TIA!!!

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.agselect.com/ED/showprod.cfm?&DID=11&CATID=12&ObjectGroup_ID=12

I'm thinking I'll just order one of these systems. By the time you buy the valves and all the parts you really haven't saved much, if anything. I've been using the bottles, but feel a need to go to something with less daily work involved.
That would work, but the one described in the previous thread involved, I think, 1/2" PVC, with tee-connectors and a discarded (i.e. FREE) 5-gallon bucket. Do you think it would cost almost as much for a do-it-yourself system like this as for the store-bought, ready-made system you linked to?

I'm starting out with the 2-liter bottles and adapters (from Bass). I'm wondering whether it would be possible to eventually screw those adapters onto a PVC connector (attached to the tee)?

Or maybe, if it's cheap enough, I might just go for the automatic system right off the bat. I think the person in the previous thread mentioned heat tape around the piping and bucket to insulate it.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Yes, if you want to use heat tape I beleive you HAVE to use PVC pipe. I was looking at roof heat cables and wondering if those would work for a watering system and got no response.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was looking at roof heat cables and wondering if those would work for a watering system and got no response.
I have the PVC pipe and the heat cable that runs inside the pipe. http://www.klubertanz.com/images/Klubertanz_Pg36.pdf

I don't know if I would want to run electricity through something not intended to be submerged in water like a roof cable. I'm a little paranoid about the cables that are intended to go in the water line, and only plug it in when the weather is really cold.

There is no water line to my rabbitry so I use a 60 gal tub with the stock tank heater (also on the page linked above). I've had it three winters now and it works great - other than my unavoidable paranoia :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 200 hole barn, I use a 55 gallon barrel with a stock tank heater in it. I then use a ornamental pond pump to pump the water out of the top of the barrel thru the lines then back into the barrel. I have the Tee type connectors as well as the saddels that you drill a hole in the pipe and glue in. I live in Missouri and it gets cold enough that at 10degrees I use some additional heat to keep it from having problem, hope this helps, if you have any questions E Mail me at [email protected] Bill

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I was looking for that thread and wondered why I couldn't find it. Someone on it posted that they had some T's and nipples they were willing to sell. Whoever it was, please pm me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I took and drilled a hole in the 1/2 pvc pipe and wrapped pipe tape around the water nipple threads screwed them in and they have been doing fine for 2 years now, I just ran the pipe along the back of the cages with the nipples sticking through the wire. I will be installing the heat cable that runs inside the pipe today as mentioned in the post earlier to keep it from freezing. Tired of draining the line every night! I also put 2 nipples per cage in my grow out pens!

·
Small scale homesteader
725 Posts
As for warming the water lines, how about putting an aquarium heater or two in the main water container?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts