Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last automatic chicken door thread is 2016, just curious if anyone has any recommendations on model, or updated do’s and don’ts with them?

I try to get to the cabin one night a week and either I have to leave the coop door open, or leave them locked in. Neither ideal.

And they are such a rip off! Besides building your own which is be unlikely to happen anybody find deals on them somewhere 😀

Thanks

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I always just cut a hole and hung a piece of feed sack over it. Then set the feed barrel in front of it at night. Sorry not very high tech.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always just cut a hole and hung a piece of feed sack over it. Then set the feed barrel in front of it at night. Sorry not very high tech.
Wish I could do that! Both types of bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, ermine mink and some other big weasel, all the owls, and even raccoons. Something will get in for sure. Some nights it’s creepy just going out to lock them in at night 😀

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Wish I could do that! Both types of bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, ermine mink and some other big weasel, all the owls, and even raccoons. Something will get in for sure. Some nights it’s creepy just going out to lock them in at night 😀
The only thing I don't have here is Grizzly Bear. The only thing that ever got inside was a bull snake. He would curl up under the hens and eat the eggs whole, while they were still warm. I found him one morning while gathering eggs. Reach under a hen and put your hand on a snake sometime, that will get your attention.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Only time i lost a bird was when i didn't lock them up at night. And keep them locked in till after 10 am in April when mom fox would be hunting

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Here's 7 automatic openers with pros and cons of each.

If they won't work for you, could you adapt an automatic dog door opener?

Reactions: fireweed farm

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,869 Posts
I try to get to the cabin one night a week
Wish I could do that! Both types of bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, ermine mink and some other big weasel, all the owls, and even raccoons.
You only 'visit' your birds once a week......with all those preds?!?!
Am surprised you still have any birds left at all!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I've had a Pullet Shut door for 5 or so years, haven't had a problem yet. I have the solar option with the light sensor - it is completely care free. I think the battery may be running low so have purchased a spare (~$10) for when it does give out. I was drawn to this one because it opens out rather than up and for a variety of reasons that was far preferable.

ChickenDoors.com - Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You only 'visit' your birds once a week......with all those preds?!?!
Am surprised you still have any birds left at all!
I wasn't clear, the chickens are at my house- I don't keep chickens at the cabin- I've joked about guineas but wouldn't leave critters unattended like that!

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,869 Posts
I wasn't clear, the chickens are at my house- I don't keep chickens at the cabin- I've joked about guineas but wouldn't leave critters unattended like that!
Ohhhh! That makes more sense! LOL!
Sorry about that.
I'd just keep them cooped for one day/night a week.
Hopefully you have a large enough coop and might want some hot wire around for the bears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts