Automatic kitty litter box?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by fireweed farm, Dec 13, 2016.

1. fireweed farm

fireweed farm Well-Known Member

I know how lazy that sounds. But I have several barn cats that use a box. The ground outside is frozen half the year and they just won't use it. BUT if I don't keep their litter box clean the poop etc in the hay. 3 cats, long winter.... not an option. I don't have time to clean it more than 1-2 times per week which is WAY not often enough.

Anyone have one of these automatic boxes?

I saw one for sale but you needed to buy their brand name litter, it seemed like an expensive scam.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

2. Lady89

Lady89 Well-Known Member

i have not had a cat yet that will use one most cats are scared silly of them.

just use a big plastic ben for a litter box it is bigger so it will need cleaning less

3. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Lady89 on this one. The rule of thumb is a litter box for each cat plus one. So if you have 3 cats, get 4 litter boxes. Use regular litter (not the clumping kind) and you can get away with cleaning a couple of times a week.

4. fireweed farm

For some reason thought I updated this.

I ended up splurging on the 'Multi Cat' model of Natures Miracle auto kitty box.
    It's been ok. It 'fails' here and there so you need to check it every couple days.

But where it is killing it, is I am saving $$ on litter. Instead of dumping the whole box every so often, I now just top it up every couple weeks. I guess the pees don't 'spread' through the litter as far so there is much less waste.

So, it cost over $200 but it will pay for itself in time if it doesn't break as soon as warranty is up.

You're supposed to buy new throw-out receptacles but I just dump them and reuse, no issues.

5. fireweed farm

And the cats are amazed by it, while it's in action. Not a concern.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

This has worked for me. I dig an area in an appropriate spot, get the soil all loose. I dig down as much as a shovel will allow, which is deeper than a litter box. Over that I put the kitty litter. It doesn't even have to be used kitty litter, they know what it is. With four cats I'd make another one after a while, again getting the soil real loose. The urine will go through, much deeper than the litter box, just go down and down. It will quickly decompose.

Close the barn up. Take each cat to the new outhouse and set him on it. They will investigate and realize that a new litter box, bigger and better than the old one, has been gifted to them. Because the soil is worked up, in the winter you can break it up with a hoe.

Since it is now winter, I don't know. I think you could probably put a foot of straw down and put some litter over it.