Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on building my own automatic chicken door. I am using a linear actuator and a Wi-Fi 2 Channel relay board. I am also repurposing a 5 volt power supply could I had laying around to power it. I spent the weekend trying to figure out the Wi-Fi to channel relay board. There were very few instructions and this basic board was new to me. I got it off of Amazon.

Well with some sleep and a few videos on YouTube I have figured it out. Next I am on 2 the where I attach it to the wall and get it working.

This is a dry run for setting up the linear actuators that will raise and lower a hatch door to a Loft in the barn.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The door works. :) I got it installed Saturday. I did not get the automatic open and closing set properly so I had to trigger it with my phone that night and the next morning. I did get it set up properly though yesterday. It is set to open and sunrise and close at dusk. It did that both correctly.

It cost me 45.00 for the actuator. 15.00 for the wifi relay, and nothing for the power supply. I used plywood for the door. It opens to the side like a regular door because I did not have enough room to mount the actuator above the door to make it slide up and down. I also did not want to have it slide sideways because I was worried that litter and gunk might cause the track to stick and not be able to slide close properly.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
The raccoons here stay out later than sunrise. I saw one a couple weeks ago out a half hour after sunrise.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a problem with the raccoons during the day. The chickens outrun them.

I have a roofed, closed run that was not closed off from the coop at night. The snow load this winter however broke one of the supports and allowed a small point of access that I could not get to because of the snow but the raccoons could. That is why I had to resort to closing them into the coop every night.

That will be repaired soon. This automatic door is a second line of defense. I think I am going to add another automatic door to the outside run as well. :)

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a techie and I love automation. I love youtube and how easy it is to find new and exciting ideas you can build yourself.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
Funny, we never had a problem with raccoons during the day, until they became a problem during the day. I can't recall how many years we have had the security cameras but this is the first year I have seen the raccoons well after sunrise. There were two running around in the morning. There are none here now, not that I have seen anyway.

My neighbors chickens are penned up inside her dog run. The dogs keep predators away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am working on building my own automatic chicken door. I am using a linear actuator and a Wi-Fi 2 Channel relay board. I am also repurposing a 5 volt power supply could I had laying around to power it. I spent the weekend trying to figure out the Wi-Fi to channel relay board. There were very few instructions and this basic board was new to me. I got it off of Amazon.

Well with some sleep and a few videos on YouTube I have figured it out. Next I am on 2 the where I attach it to the wall and get it working.

This is a dry run for setting up the linear actuators that will raise and lower a hatch door to a Loft in the barn.
I am an expert on programming Arduino IDE for WiFi and relay systems. I have an entier PLC based machine running on ESP 8266 and Mega with aux NANO's via Serial.
I also made a gate linear actuator system for my very heavy wooden 12 foot gate. If you need help, I know the easiest, most direct, way to make it work.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you that is a wonderful offer. I did get it figured out on my own. There were some settings in the software itself that I needed to toggle. It is now working great and I think the chickens are very happy to not have to wait for one of us to get out to the coop in the early morning.

I will hit you up when I move on to bigger projects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts