Auto Gear for Winter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Dec 4, 2003.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have an adult family member woefully prepared for anything, including winter. I am thinking of giving him a kit for his car for safety. He knows nothing about and has no interest in how his cars work. In it I am thinking of including the following, for his mostly city midwest driving:

1. flashlight (maybe a small LED one)
    2. flares
    3. scraper for snow, ice
    4. atlas
    5. handy wipes
    6. band-aids
    7. poncho (plastic simple one) or umbrella
    8. maybe jumper cables
    9. a few energy bars

What else? Some coins for parking/tolls? A $5 phone card? Some hand lotion? Hand warmers? Work gloves? A small 5 x 7 tarp?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Fix a Flat, a solar blanket, Deicer, bungy cords, wire ties, hose clamps, gas can, funnel. Oh wait-a-minit, you said city driving! Machete for under the seat, spare change for red light panhandlers, spare key to throw at would be car jackers, pepper spray. :haha:

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

We include in our winter "kits"..Of course we are more in the country but perhaps this might help. An old sleeping bag..a tin can, the kind that holds fruit etc. And a candle. You would be surprised at how much heat you can get out of a candle burning inside that tin can !!.. a couple candy bars. I have a few bottle of water 1/2 full and hopefully they don't crack. (but worth the chance anyways). Pair of old snow boots. Kitty litter for getting stuck on the ice. Hope this gives you some ideas !!

4. add 50lbs of dog food for the trunk for traction. Extra weight, and if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week.... dinner's in the trunk. Just pick a brand that tastes good.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Chains,Shovel,Ground Oyster Shell for weight and Traction,Small Tool Kit.

big rockpile