Auto darken welding lenses

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by insanity, Jun 11, 2006.

1. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Got myself one of those new auto darkening welding hoods.Well new to me anyway its actually used.The guy before me had a green cutting lenses in it,id guess to help protect you eyes a little if it doesn't darken when its supposed to.Would you take that out and go back to clear or not? It takes to long for me to realize that the other lense may not have darkened when i strike an arc.. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any pointers before i burn my eye balls out of my head. :D
    Got to playing around with it yesterday and found out it works best if you can remember to turn it back on after each break.Ouch! :rolleyes:
    Since i was outside i was constantly having to readjust the lense as the sun moved.And as it got dark just the red glow from the welds would mess it up.Guessing a few work lights might make it work a little better?

Good thing i had the heat turned down low or id be crying right about now.Having been burnt once i sure don't want to do that again.Long story there.But a friend burnt me while i was preheating for him to weld hard surface.Potato juice really does help,incase anyone ever has that happen. :D

2. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Before I retired last year I was a supervisor in an automaker weld tool shop. (We made the robotized machines that weld auto bodies on the assembly line). One of the tradesmen was using one of the new (at the time) company issued auto-darkening weld helmets. I talked to him about how he liked it and he just loved it. I told him I was thinking of getting DH one for Christmas. His response: "Will you marry me so I can get one too?"

The one I got for him is a Speedglas 9000X. He is extremely happy with it. He doesn't turn the lense on-off with each spark, only when he is finished with the job. This model will turn itself off after not sensing any activity for 30 minutes. It will also turn itself off if it detects a problem with the electronics or if the battery is low.

As far as the extra lense the guy put over the auto-darkening lense - I would remove it. It seems to me that the lense would interfere with the ability of the auto lense to detect the correct light from the welding.

If yours didn't come with the instruction manual, I would Google whatever brand you have and get one from the company. From what I get from the Speedglas 9000X, there is quiet a bit of instruction material in using it.

3. suitcase_sally

Potato juice? Tell me more!

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Get the instructions!

Most have a bit of a polarized plate (shaded), haven't seen any with only clear plate, so I'd be careful replacing what you have with clear.....

Only made 4 welds with mine so far, so not qualified to say any more.

--->Paul

5. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

If you can't remember to turn it on, you need to replace it. Go to a welding shop and get a glass lens (at least #10 for arc welding). On the auto dark lens, make sure it's a brand name like Miller, Huntsman or Jackson. Some of those off brands aren't dependable and you can really damage your eyes.
    Potato juice?

6. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

Picked up a Forney auto darkening hood a couple weeks ago for about $98 for home use. We have more expensive Huntsman helmets at work. I welded pipe and 1" wire rope all weekend reworking the corrals and never had any issues. It worked just as well as the high dollar ones I've used at work. That hood had a clear lens in front of the polarizing lens and photo cell just to for protection from slag or grindin debris. I like to test my hood evey time I start it up by holding my hand over the lens and then looking towards a light source real quick. If it is operating properly it will darken quickly when the light hits it. Once you start using these hoods you'll never want to go back. Good Luck.

7. insanity

OK so its supposed to be green when it is not darkened. (thats the polarized lense?).I cant find a name on this one but it seems to be built really well.(Its painted several shades of red to maroon with Dale E. Jr,skulls,8 balls and a bunch more stuff faded in.Real pretty hood.) IL bet it came from the local welding sales shop.Ill have to go look and see what the name brand is. It seems to work great indoors.Might just be user error out doors.
    Humm the battery light isn't saying the battery is low but I'm pretty sure the timer isn't leaving it on for 30 Min's.More like 10 or 15.Think ill change the battery.
    Ive always wanted one but couldn't see paying so much for one since i dont weld for a living anymore more.Lucked up and ran across this one at a pawn shop for 35 bucks! (with hardly a scratch on it.)

Potato juice! Had my eyes burnt real good one time at work.By that night it started out feeling like sand in my eyes.Reached up and wiped them a few times and the little blisters popped and started burning like mad.Holding a cold beer to them only dulled the pain a touch so i drank it instead followed by about 10 more hoping to dull the pain. LOL We where at a Friends house and his wife kept telling me to take a potato, cut it in half and hold it over my eyes.Well after several hrs of tears just rolling down my cheeks uncontrollably i decided what the heck.How silly could i look. :D
    Cut it in half layed my head back and tried to let the juice run in my eyes as she suggested.OH almost instant relief.Id say it relieved atleast 75 percent of the pain right away.And after about 30 mins of this and it almost didn't hurt at all.Other than slightly blurred vision and just a touch of gritty feel to my eyes the next day i fine.Well sept for the hang over caused by my medicinal alcohol.
    She said it was the Potassium in the potato? What ever it is i promise it works.

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

tater indeed works. i dont use the juice just shred tater and lay it over eyes

ditto whats said about off brand lenses. i had a new helmet and a guy borrowed it and replaced the lense with a el cheapo and i burned my eyes really bad.

9. suitcase_sally

10. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

I attended Lincoln Electric's Welding School a couple of years ago. In the Comprehensive Arc Welding Course they will sell you anything you want regarding helmets. I wanted to spend the big bucks on a new helmet so that i wouldnt be hampered in my learning process. so i did, i bought the big dog of the helmet line. about $260 with my discount.

about a week into the welding i noticed a diagonal line moving across my lense and a weak spot on either side of the crack. sure enough, the lense cracked. the warranty replaced it and i was back to work within an hour. i was disappointed though- too much money to spend on a iffy product. the technology was new then and since then they have worked out the bugs and even the price has come down from the low $300's.

since that time i have welded with that same helmet and wide lense for 10 hours a day in all positions with my lense set on 11. ABSOLUTELY the best thing i ever did was purchase this helmet.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I never get spots. and because its solar powered i dont have batteries to replace. I do take care of it and treat it with great care and packaging but who wouldnt. This thing works. spend the money, save your eyes.

11. insanity

Ah-Ha i finally found it online. :hobbyhors
    Hobart Racer Series Welding Helmets Featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr. (#8)
    Stylish graphics featuring your favorite NASCAR Drivers. | Lightweight, polyamide nylon materials make these helmets attractive, comfortable and durable. | Wide View Lens Auto Darkens in 1/16,000 of a second from a light shade of (#3.5) to a shade (#9, to #13) the instant you start welding. | Auto on/off, internal sensitivity & delay controls. | Solar-powered rechargeable lithium battery never needs replacing. | Advanced CoolMax® fabric absorbs odors in the sweatband.

770228 3.00 lbs. $199.99 Qty

Guess i don't need to replace the battery.Played with it a little more yesterday and it seemed fine.Maybe it needed charging.