Austin Home Depots have their spring fruit trees in

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by primroselane, Dec 31, 2005.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Most of the trees are healthy and the prices are right but about half of the varieties are inappropriate for the area. It is Home Depot's way of letting local people know that Home Depot is out of touch with their needs.

The nicest fruit tree I saw at two locations was Jonathan apples. That tree is just not appropriate for Austin. This winter has been so warm we can count chill hours on our hands. Besides, they have serious fireblight, mildew and Jonathan rot issues. Besides, the Austin area has a lot of apple unfriendly soils, including some with cotton root rot, to which apple trees seem especially suseptible.

2. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart all choose their tree lines based on what varieties are known to MOVE QUICKLY in your area, NOT what will grow best.

These stores are in the business of moving lots of merchandize quickly.

They will sell you rock salt as a garden mulch if they can sell a large volume of the stuff quickly enough.

Believe me, most of Home Depot's tree purchasers are NOT Master Gardeners!

In my area, the Bradford Pear tree has numerous problems and should not be planted. In fact, the best tree suppliers will not even sell the Bradford Pear because it has so many problems here.

But the local WalMart sells more Bradford Pear trees than any other type around, according to the manager of the gardening dept.

I'm sure it's a similar story at Home Depot and Lowe's too.

So it is best to find out what grows well in your area, then go to the discount centers and see if they have good trees of those select varieties. If they do, then buy them. If not, move on to the dedicated gardening centers or internet sellers like Stark Bros.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thank you, mpm, for saying it so well.

also the chain stores drive small growers, (like many homestead minded folks,) out of business.

also thanks to primrose, for the reminder i need to get the catalogs out and get ready to order....

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was ranting to a friend about Home Depot's "Certified Nursery Professional" who didn't even know when our last average frost date is, my friend commented that "certified" probably only meant that the employee had had training on how to run the cash register!

It makes me so mad that they can come right out and say something that just isn't true.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this is very true. i have a friend who works at lowe's. she does have years of nursery and greenhouse experience.(employer retired and sold out) she tried really hard to get hired in the plants dept. they promised her if she would come to work, that eventually she'd work in the plants. they did, for about 3 months, then transferred her to the paint dept when there was a vacancy that needed to be filled. hardly ever has her expertise and experience been utilized. they could care less.

they're a bunch of frickin idiots at both places.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Local nurseryman recommended 'Dorset Golden' and 'Anna' for apples. He said those are what he grows for himself as well. So that is what I bought. Haven't seen what HD has. Too unhappy with them for telling me on the phone that they had the pipe I needed, then when I got there nobody had a clue. Ended up walking all over the store till my hip was hurting so bad I couldn't do anything but go on home, without the pipe.

There are quite a few nurseries in the area, and the prices are competitive with HD etc, service is much better.