Aussie Pet Shed- cheap pet meds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Neville Aponte, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

Has any one had any experience with this outfit?

http://www.petshed.com/products/category6.asp

They have flea and tick control and heart worm medicine for half price or less even with shipping.

I used to be Randy Rooster but lost my password and old e mail addy oops

2. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Be careful~
    I ordered Frontline from them before and found out it was counterfeit. Here's the link to the epa page. The Frontline I got from Petshed definitely had all the markings of the counterfeit.
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/petproduct.htm
    I didn't feel safe taking the chance using it on my dogs.
    Take care,
    Steph

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Absolutely Steph! The heartworm and flea and tick medications from on-line pharmacies are usually counterfeit or at least obtained by blackmarket ways. The companies that make Heartgard/Frontline, Interceptor, Advantage, etc. ONLY sell their products to licensed practicing veterinarians. So the on-line pharmacies have to get their products from unscrupulous veterinarians. There is no guarantee that the product has been stored and handled properly. Also manufacturers guarantee their product to be efficacious, but ONLY if it was purchased from a practicing veterinarian. Not such a big deal if your dog or cat gets fleas, but a VERY big deal if your dog gets heartworms! I wouldn't feel safe taking that chance either!

Sarah

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

That is so cheap...the cheapest I can buy Revolution at a vets is AU$35, so Pet shed have it for $7 cheaper. Sarah..All worm and flea products are available here not only in Vets but at all Dog Food shops. The place where I buy my dog meat has every kind of product...but it is dearer than the vets cos the companies dont do DEALS with them like the vets. The vets get kickbacks. So I am sure if you purchased a product and were not happy there is a link to the Australian Pesticides and Vet. Medicines Austhority on the site, where you could complain and get refund etc.

5. GoldenMom

I AM a vet and no we don't get "kickbacks." It is illegal in the US to purchase prescription medications (ALL heartworm medications) without a valid client/patient relationship. Obviously it is not possible to have a valid client/patient relationship with someone over the internet. And when you say "worm" medicines do you mean intestinal parasite medications (which are also available over the counter in the US) or heartworm medications such as Heartgard, Interceptor, and Revolution? In the US it is also not necessary to have a prescription to get flea medications, but since the manufacturers DO NOT sell to on-line pharmacies, there is no guarantee that the product you get will work and will not cause your pet harm. There have been numerous cases of these flea medications getting repackaged so they look like US packages (these repackage may or may not contain any directions for use), but once again there is no guarantee that the product is what it says or that the product is the correct dosage. The manufacturs stand behind their products 100% if they are purchased through "correct" channels (ie YOUR veterinarian) and if applied correctly.

Sarah

6. GoldenMom

One more comment: Who are you going to call if your pet has a reaction to the medication???? The company phone number (if you can find a valid one on the package!) is going to tell you to call your vet!!!!!

Sarah

7. Shazza

:) Revolution treats for Heartworm...correct? It is available at all Dog food outlets, along with countless dog products from medicated shampoo to chew toys. All of those Heartworm/intestinal worm products on that website are available over the counter here in Australia.
    Do you have your own surgery? Do you have certain brands of Dogfood available for clients to buy directly from your surgery? Why those particular products? Why is there such a difference between the product price that a dogfood shop can buy it for (wholesale price) and a Vets can buy it for? Business is what it is. On what grounds are you assuming that the manufacturers do not sell to online pharmacies and online pet shops, specially ones that advertise on Ebay.?

cheers

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Interesting that you don't get kickbacks on meds. My DH's MD used to get paid when his dad took meds. I never knew that was why the doctors prescribed these things. What a racquet. Glad I personally don't take those things. Too bad DH has diabetes and has to get them from his MD. Wish he didn't.

9. GoldenMom

Yes Revolution prevents Heartworm, but like I said before in the US it is prescription.

The representatives for the companies have stated numerous times that in the US they DO NOT sell to on-line pharmacies.

This is a direct quote from: www.frontline.com/epa:

"How can consumers be sure their product is authentic?

The best way to be confident about the source of FRONTLINE products is to purchase it through your veterinarian. In fact, it is our policy to sell our small animal pet products only where a veterinarian/client/patient relationship exists.
    Consumers who purchased product from their veterinarian should not be concerned about the authenticity of their products. "

Here's the disclaimer on the Pet Shed Website.
    "General Disclaimer
    Pet Shed is an Australian business. All products supplied by Pet Shed are registered with the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) and are available for purchase in Australia without prescription. Further details can be obtained on www.apvma.gov.au/pubcris/subpage_pubcris.shtml.

Regulatory requirements differ between countries. The products supplied by Pet Shed may not be approved for sale in your country by the relevant regulatory authorities or may not be approved for sale in their Australian packaging. While the products supplied by Pet Shed may be supplied in Australia without prescription, a prescription may be required in your country. For example, in the USA, some of the products supplied by Pet Shed may not have received the approval for sale of the FDA, EPA and/or other regulatory bodies. Some products may require a prescription from a vet.

Pet Shed recommends that you check with the regulatory authorities in your country and/or your vet if you have any queries and to ensure that it is legal for you to purchase our products."

Apparently it is legal to purchase these heartworm prevention products (that are prescription only in the US) over the counter in Australia. This does not mean that it is OK for US citizens to purchase these products, it is only OK for Australians to purchase these products. I will repeat one more time: IT IS ILLEGAL TO SELL THESE PRODUCTS IN THE US WITHOUT A VALID CLIENT/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP. I will not get into an argument about whether or not it is right that Australians can purchase these drugs over the counter and that US citizens can not. It is simply our law and if you want it changed talk to your government representatives.

Do you have certain brands of Dogfood available for clients to buy directly from your surgery? Why those particular products?

Yes we do sell two brands of dog food at our hospital-ukanuba and Science Diet (not that I recommend either of these diets-see my posts in the "dog food" thread :) ). We actually have to sell these products at more than what the pet food stores sell them for. Often times our actual cost (what we employees would pay) is MORE than what the pet food stores sell these exact same products for. The reason that some people buy their food at our hospital is simply convenience. That and the foods are unconditionally guaranteed at our hospital (we will take it back if your pet doesn't like it).

Hope this clears things up-apparently there are lots of differences between the US and Australia! :)

Sarah

10. GoldenMom

Yep no kickbacks. Like any product, if you buy more in bulk things cost a little less, but it's that way at the supermarket too! :) And we don't get all sorts of free samples like MD's do :waa: ! Very rarely we get a few samples and we give those out to clients-we don't keep them for ourselves!

11. Shazza

Gees...so you charge a consultation fee just to sell someone a packet of Revolution?
    If pointing out the differences from one country to another or questioning how someone can make statements like "they must get them from unscroupulous Vetranarians"...and no product guarantee when not bought at a vets, are grounds for an arguement.....then go ahead....but as I have said somewhere else...there is no right or wrong, simply differences from country to country and afterall we are on a public forum, how you react to differences being pointed out is up to you. :)

12. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Not being big on being forced into a "Guild" relationship with medical doctors or vets, I'd certainly buy the stuff from Australia. And my own meds from Mexico.

13. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

To buy heartworm prevention at Petmeds.com, you have to either send them a prescription or give them your vet's contact info and they get the prescription via fax, I think. This means that your vet is the first stage only, doing the heartworm test and prescribing Heartgard or whatever. I can't imagine Petmeds.com advertising on TV all the time and no vet drug company coming forward to publicly declare that Petmeds is selling fake or illegal drugs.

One of the local feedstore sells vet meds to ranchers, including 4-in-1s and rabies shots for cats and dogs. The owner has a license for that without being a vet. Frankly, if I'm to choose between taking five cats and four dogs to the budget vet (a 150-mile round trip) and shelling out $270 for office visit fees and plain rabies shots ($450 at the fancier vet's), and buying rabies shots for all at the feedstore (36-mile round trip) for about $35, the feedstore wins out.
    When it comes to basic necessities, I refuse to finance a veterinarian's aquarium fish or landscaping or candy on the counter.

I would question any source of meds that seems very cheap without a good explanation, but if you can get a better price for what you need and it's legitimate, why not?

14. GoldenMom

Legally I MUST have seen the animal in question before I can dispense something like revolution. If I do not see the animal I could lose my license that I spent 4 years of my life and more than $30,000 getting!

The statement that "they must get them from unscroupulous Vetranarians" most certainly applies to the on-line pharmacies that operate here in the US. As I pointed out in my last post, I am NOT "assuming" that the manufacturers don't sell to anyone but practicing vets, it's COMPANY POLICY (at least in the US). Also there is no guarantee on these products (from the company) because the company cannot guarantee how the product was handled after it's passed through several different hands. Even though the manufacturers can also not guarantee how the products are handled once they reach the veterinarian who bought them straight from the company, the manufacturers have a relationship with us and do trust that we will properly handle the meds. I do imagine that sometimes there are some veterinarians who mishandle the drugs, but if they were purchased from the manufacturer, the manufacturer stands behind them.

I understand this is a public forum and I appreciate the input from other nations (I had no idea that heartworm meds were not prescription in all countries), but since the greatest majority of users reside in the US they need to know that IT IS ILLEGAL TO PURCHASE THESE MEDICATIONS WITHOUT A VALID CLIENT/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP. I am all for finding less expensive ways to live, but not at the expense of the health of my pets!

Sarah

15. GoldenMom

I'm glad you can get your vaccines for less expensive. As for Rabies, here in Iowa that vaccine MUST be given by a veterinarian to be valid. The other shots are OK for owners to give. The main reason our state (all states differ) doesn't recognize a Rabies shot given by someone other than a vet, is for the simple reason that many people (I don't mean you at all) don't understand that vaccines must be kept cold and if the vaccine is not handled right it will not be effective. That's fine if you inactivate the Parvo shot for your dog, but Iowa doesn't want to take any chances with a zoonotic disease.

Sarah

16. Neville Aponte

Back to the quiestion at hand abut the frontline/advantage from the petshed. They have listed on the web site the various lot numbers, and show comparisons between the us and aussie versions as to active ingrediets, so am I really being foolish to trust that these are the real deal?

I can potentially save too much money not to do some investigating here and would like some ideas about how I could do so.

As far as legalities are concerned, I honestly believe that quite a few of the of laws in my country (us) were enacted in order to make some one more money or get a monopoly on products or services. I see a difference between what is government mandated law and what is morally right and wrong. I dont think savining $10 a month on my pets medicines by buying them overseas will buy me a ticket into hell.

17. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

I called and spoke personally with the epa when I was going through your same dilemma. They were very friendly and informative and I finally decided it just wasn't worth the chance. I wish I could remember more of what they told me but it was a few years back so it's lost in the deep folds of my brain somewhere..... :) My dogs are worth far more to me than a few $ saved.
    Take care~
    Steph

18. GoldenMom

Those meds will not have US approved EPA labeling or instructions. I can't tell you how different the Australian directions are, but at least they'll be in English. We had a client once who purchased Heartgard (without a prescription) from a US on-line pharmacy and got product labeled in German!

I didn't look to closely at the Frontline prices since it's not prescription, but you sure won't be saving $10 a month on Heartgard (BTW they are selling plain Heartgard, most "Heartgard" sold in the US is Heartgard Plus which also kills intestinal parasites and comes in a chewable form). Their price for 6 months of large Heartgard was about $30 not including shipping. At my clinic we sell 12 months of large Heartgard Plus for about $80. So you would save at most $20 for the whole year minus the cost of shipping. You be the judge about whether you want to take the risk for less than $20.

You all may "poo-poo" the guarantee, but these companies really stand behind their products. I wish I had a good example of Heartgard or Frontline (I just have seen them refund the money if someone didn't think the Frontline worked or pay for intestinal parasite treatment if a dog came down with intestinal parasites), but I do have a good example from one of the vaccine manufacturers. Last November my boss vaccinated a Boston Terrier puppy for DHP/PV/CVK (that was all he got on that day, not a whole bunch of vaccines all at once) on a Thursday. The pup was very lethargic afterward and came back in on Saturday morning looking very jaundiced. His liver and kidneys had shut down so I referred him to the nearest University where he spent the next week in intensive care. $2000 later he is a healthy puppy. The manufacturer of the product paid for all of his medical bills without any fuss. Try to get the vaccine manufacturer to do that if you purchase over the internet! This is just an example to show you how important these product "guarantees" can be. Most pets will never have a problem, but will you be prepared if YOUR pet does? I am not saying that all pets who receive meds from on-line pharmacies will have a drastic reaction, but like Steph, it just wouldn't be worth risk for me.

Sarah

19. Neville Aponte

My pets already recieve better medical care than their owner - me. Its more than a few bucks saved. It may also determine whether or not I can keep a pet or have to get rid of them.

20. Neville Aponte

Dont know if any one noticed but the petshed is advertising up at the top of this page.