aug. is bat breeding season

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bob clark, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

our house is huge and very much unfinished and seems to be a great place for bats

I have killed three in the past week. I sleep on the second floor and the house is very open. ( 28 ft ceilings ) in the tallest part. I have tryed to open windows to let them out and have tryed to just ignore them all together

the only thing that i have found to be affective is a tennis racket

my Question is has anyone tryed the plug in sonic noise boxes that are supose to repell the flying rats

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Bob, how are they getting in and out? I'd think that plugging the hole(s) they usually use would be a start, and make those trapped inside exit through a window which you can close once they're out.

Have you tried putting bat houses outside, which might be more attractive to them than your house?

In an ideal world you'd be able to move them outside to bat houses. Even though people worry about rabies in bats, rabid bats rapidly become paralysed so a bat who is flying probably isn't much risk (though you don't wanna tempt fate). Thing is, they eat close to their weight in mosquitoes each night, so if you can drive them out of the house but not out of the yard you have a big win all around.

I haven't used the repelling noisemaker thing. It sounds like it would be good to try because it could clear your entire house of them. But if it were me I'd put out bat houses the day before I switched on the noisemaker, plug all the holes except one designated egress for them, and then turn the noisemaker on at dusk and seal the hole in the middle of the night so they'd be locked out.

If you call your local human health department they should be able to tell you what the current rabies risk is, in your area. At the north end of my county it is considered very low because no rabid animals have been discovered there in several years. Where I live, at the south end, there was a single rabid (non-bat) animal discovered about 4 years ago, so it is 'mild to moderate' risk. If you know that nobody has found rabies in your area in a decade you might sleep a little better about whatever bat contact you've had so far.

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

im not realy concerned with rabis so much as the creeps i get when they are swooping within inches of my face while i am in bed. I have had them land in the covers while i was sleeping because they breed in mid air and fall down to the ground thous landing on my bed

to give you an idea of how many holes there are in the house, I shot a small coon that was playing in my room two nights ago. how it got in I will never know but

last winter it took 24 full cords of wood to heat the house and we can only keep it up to about 50 degrees when the wind blows. this will give you an idea of how many holes there are

the attic floor is covered with bat crap

because the house is warm in the winter i think it just makes things even more atractive for them

the house is only 12 years old. dad built it himself and he isnt concerned with the bats at all. mom and dad sleeps on the bottom floor and seldom see them

sorry ,this is more of a rant than anything else but I was just wondering if anyone has had good results with the sonic repellants

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Wow. Sounds like a job for that new tyvek house-wrapper plastic stuff they put on new construction. I wonder if it can be retrofitted onto an existing house?

If your dad is still alive maybe he can do something about the holes. The bat poop in the attic is a health hazard for a variety of reasons.

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

We have bats like crazy down here. They eat mosquitos and other bugs. Great to have around. You oughta see the show at night when the hawks come flying in looptie loops trying to catch them at dusk. Cool site!!!

I would agree something would have to be done if they got in the house, though! The guana ain't a pleasing smell.

6. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

Im getting pretty good with the raquet. I need work on my back hand though :cool:

7. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

*cough cough*

8. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

sorry Pink , but if you would spend a night in bed with me I garentee you you would be creeped out by morning

9. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

:nono: come on people, I set myself up with a one liner like this and no one sees it :nono:

10. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

I'll have to ask my husband first !!!!!

11. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Went to my physician the other day, and we somehow got on the subject of bats and rabies. My physican told me that in the state of Texas in the past ten years, 100% of cases of human rabies was directly caused by bats. A teenage boy died just a couple of months ago from rabies, contracted after a bat flew into his bedroom window. He was not even aware he had been bitten until he started showing symptoms. Tested positive, and died. I am aware that bats consume tons of insects every year, but I would not dream of putting up a bat house on my home or in any other way cohabiting with bats. All it takes is one case of rabies, and by the time you notice symptoms it is already too late to save your life. To me, the risk to my health is too important. The bats can go live in the woods. Just my two cents.

12. chas

chas Well-Known Member

The little brown bats migrate to mexico where they sometimes come back with rabies! But if we get rid of the bats we have even more skeeters upping the chance of west nile disease.Can't win fer losin :shrug:
    Chas

13. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Ah Hah, Bob I saw it. I mean I saw it right away but I was trying so hard to be really nice and not say anything but since you mentioned it...........LOL

Jan

14. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

To alter the subject just a little. We want bats, we put a bat house up and they will not come. We have such a problem with insects we were hoping to attact bats to help with the problem. Any ideas on how to attract the bats?

15. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

come to my house and i will give you all you want

16. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Maybe it's something to do with the name Bob, we have plenty of bats at my house too.

17. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

RedHairedBonnie- Do you have water on your property? I've been reading up on this, because I knew next to nothing about bats, lol. Supposedly you have to have a water source because they require a lot of water when they feed at night.

We've been bat watching this week. The kids and I sit outside and turn the big light on and we get about 20 or more just zipping around catching the moths and misquito's. Highly entertaining, lol.

Bob- That just creeps me out at the thought that bats could get in bed with me. Have you seen those plastic tennis rackets that run on batteries that give an electric shock when you swat bugs?

18. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

I have lots of water, a brook in front of my house, a stream beside, and the Penobscot River behind my house. The rest of the property is forest. So water isn't the problem, any other suggestions?

19. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I would think about rabies shots as well. 1% of bats carry rabies, and they don't "bring it in from Mexico". It's everywhere and they get it because they suck blood from mammals.

Anyway, the problem is bat bites and scratches can be so tiny that you don't feel it when they bite you, so you don't wake up. You never know you've been bitten... and then you die! Ok, perhaps a little overdramatic.

But seriously, I would call the health department and ask about it. Friends of ours caught a bat in their bedroom. The health dept tested it for them (after telling them they hadn't had a rabid bat in the county in 10 years.) It was rabid and they all got the shots. Very scary.

20. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I have been told and it stands to reason that if you put the bat houses on the side of your house they will get a little heat in the winter from you house