Auctions, the good and bad of it...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Feb 28, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I went to a farm auction this weekend. Fellow of 80+ years, moved to that farm when he was 15, they sold off all of his possession that the daughter didn't keep. They sold off his Farmall f-20 it was a 1938, he bought it brand new. Crank start deal, started up like a charm. He had 5 Farmalls of different sorts and varities.

I always get mixed feelings about those auctions. It reminds me how fleeting life really is. Years from now, it could be my stuff or yours up for auction. Of course I always like when I see other farmers buying up equipment to use. The amish really bid on a lot of the items, drove up the price of the hand tools (post hole diggers, shovels, etc.). But the collectors were the worst. The amish were bidding on the gravity driven corn planters and potato planters. They won one of the corn planters (they picked the one with the steel wheels) but the collector outbid them on the potato planter. I really would have rather seen them get it. I heard the collector saying how good it would look painted up in the front yard.

Bought a bunch of nuts, bolts, and that type of thing. The old fellow had about 40 one gallon cans (the same size as the white gas, lantern fuel type) and cut out one side of them and carefully bent down the lip and with the little handle on the top, basically turned it into a drawer for to sit on a shelf. I love the ingenuity of the older generation. A bunch of old cabinets went for $5.00... I should have bought them, I could kick myself.

So, have you been to any auctions lately? Good deals? Anything that just floored you for how much someone was willing to pay? There was a box of lapel pins, some political... a single roosevelt politcal pin went for 240.00.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I go to 20-30 farm auctions a year. Love them. Some day I will be that 80 year old guy, & with no kids, it will be a hard day for me. Very hard. The farm & one's life are pretty much the same for a farmer.

Saw a 6620 combine, no heads, sell for $35,400 2 weeks ago. Typically they go $12,000. Last fall my neighbor's NI picker broght $1400. I bought mine the year before for $160. Couple years ago I bought segmented pie wheel weights for a Ford tractor for $12.50 - typically they bring $500.

There's a surprise every day.

--->Paul

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I am an auctionaholic.

A couple weeks ago I saw someone pay $750 for 57 trap tags dating back to the 1920's.
    Someone paid $850 for a 5 gallon beehive crock.

Great auction coming up this Sat----I will be in the front row.

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We like to go watch the idiots get auction fever then pay about 200 to 300% over new retail. It's pathetic yet hilarious!! :haha:

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Went to a couple estate sales where you pick thru stuff still in the house.Gave me the creeps.Wont be going to anymore anytime soon :worship:

BooBoo

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I went to a few gun auctions till I noticed most people were buying junk for new prices. I rember one 5-8 year old shotgun that went for 20$ more than a new one just like it and it was WELL used.
    Some people with too much money going to them lately. But I have noticed that anything to do with manual labor usually goes cheap.

mikell

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Fewer and fewer farm auctions around here. Older style farms about died off. And antique collectors with more money than brains bid stuff up. Yes there are truly some nice antique pieces but lot of it is worthless except as period decoration. I used to be auction hound but very few anymore unless for something specific. And scrap iron is nearly always a good buy if I am running bit low. No use to antiquers and so usually just have to bid against scrap dealers.

8. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I also LOVE auctions. As others have said, you never know what you will find. At the last one we went to, ds found a gum ball machine he wanted to buy and decided he would go up to $5 for it. Well it opened at $25 and sold for $45. At the same sale I bought a 200 gal trailer sprayer for tractor, complete with pump for $35.

When ever I go, family always gives me a hard time about how they will have to have their own auction to get rid for all the stuff I drag home someday.

I remind them you can not build cool stuff at home without a really good scrap pile.

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OMG, I didn't realize my husband was also posting on this board!

(That sounds JUST like something he would say ...)

Maybe it's my fault, though, for introducing him to auctions?! Now he's almost as nuts about 'em as I am.

Quite a few farm sales around here. Went to one last fall where we scored a hay wagon for $175, square baler for $425, manure spreader (originally horse-drawn but converted; all the mechanical in good shape but needs new lumber) for $25, JD bale spear for $75, old-fashioned side rake for $37.50, and 6 Surge stanchions milkers, minus the rubber parts and surcingles, for $35. I also bought a whole pallet of stancions and automatic drinking cups (I think about 8 of each) for $50.

We don't have a pickup, so Gary brought the tractor and trailer down, loaded it up and he ganged the hay wagon, baler and speader behind it for the trip home! Now, that was quite a sight! (He did have to go back for the rake!) :haha:

10. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

We also went to a farm auction this weekend. It was a consignment auction, so it wasn't depressing. Best deal I saw was a John Deere 14 square baler for $150. I kicked myself for not bidding, but at least I didn't have the headache of getting the monster home! Not to mention the hassle of learning the fine points of the inner workings of an old baler.

11. The best auctions to go to is a new beginner auctioneer who doesn't draw much of a crowd yet. Other than that you go and wait all day for the few items you are interested in and then get out bid by the high bidders. As high as some of that stuff goes you might as well go by it brand new and recieve a guarantee/return sales slip with it.

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

auctions are great, you have to keep a level head, know what current retail is on what youre looking for , and what a reasonable used cost is , then hey, go nuts , buy like crazy, i likeconsignment auctions, cause then i can turn around my stuff and get different stuff:D
    i used to go to more, but lately iive just been hitting livestock auctions :D

13. puglady

puglady Well-Known Member

Around here we have Amish poultry auctions, where you can spend $10 - $20 and come home with three or four muscovy ducks, homemade cinnamon rolls and bread. Can't beat it! :haha:

14. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

you should be ashamed lol :haha: they go over 1000 here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are one of the better balers, second only to the 24 t john deere. but you really need to watch some stuff goes more than new , but lots goes cheap. my house is furnished and decorated by auctions. and i can get stuff cheep enought to sell on ebay often. we get all of our epuipment at auction too.Books as well. really love the small animal auctions as well

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I use to go to them occasionally. Sometimes they made me really sad. A few were folks who had been on the land for generations and had lost it. Ran up debt and ended up being foreclosed. Those were rough. Made me vow to never put my land up as collateral for anything.

I remember I went to the sale of a elderly farm couple who had died. Basically everything they had built in their lives was in boxes being sold. They had no living children and the bank was selling everything to settle the estate. The entirety of these folks life was there being sold. Everything. Pictures, Christmas decorations, the contents of their dresser drawers, things from her kitchen, things from his shop. The the big things along with the residuum of their lives was there all boxed up and being bid on. It really upset me to be honest.

I quit going to auctions when the bidding got ridiculous. Antique dealers would drive things up too high for regular folks. Farm machinery gets driven up by collectors. Even household goods were being sold for more than what you could go out and buy new stuff. I did attend some auctions at auction houses where things went ridiculously cheap but those have been edging up in price so much as to make it not worth the effort. I get sick of standing around for hours waiting to save 20% on one item.