auction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wheelhorse, Jan 3, 2007.

1. wheelhorse

wheelhorse Active Member

I live in Ontario and would like to sell house on 25 acres by auction has anyone else done this ?and can you recommend an auctioneer thanks

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Where in Ontario, Wheelhorse? My Dad is in Muskoka, and if you're anywhere near him I might be able to get him to suggest an auctioneer -- he knows a lot of them.

Tracy

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Depending where you are in Ontario selling by auction may be a great idea or a terrible idea.

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

YOUR ASKING THE WRONG FOLKS!
    Honestly this is a question for the locals.Wander down to the liars club and head the talk around to auctionneers.

5. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Why an auction and not a realtor? If you are not careful you could be legally obligated to sell to a bid that you find ridiculously low and unacceptable.

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

You can put in a "starting bid" -- the place you want the auctioneer to "begin" the bidding at, for that very reason.

Tracy

7. wheelhorse

wheelhorse Active Member

SORRY if I put this where I wasn,t suppose to
    The property and house are 1 hour east of Toronto Ontario this is an estate sale and it is very messy one member of the family wants it for next to nothing and as soon as court is over with we will sell as fast as we can
    We plan to put a reserved bid on it as for fantasymaker i am BLIND AND POSTING IS VERY HARD so sometimes keep your thoughts to yourself n

8. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

So probably Cobourg/Grafton area? I'm near Belleville, auctions aren't used much for real estate in this area but if you want information I'd try Sullivan Auctions, call (613)477-2082 and ask for Boyd. They do some auctions up that far and they'll be pretty straight with you about whether or not the auction is the better route. They're also farmers

9. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Off topic but advice related to what else you have told us.
    I think I would have a nuetral thrid part appraize the property. Then after a discussion of what is the minumum acceptable price set that as a reserve and try to sell it on ebay failing that Id place it with a realitor for his minumum contract time .Id tell him he had a one time shot at it and that you would be selling it at auction after his contract.Yes it would take as much as 8 months to do this but Its time verses money
    Whats blind have to do with my advice? If being blind is relavant shouldnt that have been in the opening post? Does being blind mean you dont want good advice? Surely if you find it worth the effert to post a hard to do query you want truth.
    I take it you find something offencive in my post,I truthfully dont understand why that would be.
    Since it is hard for you to post dont feel obligated to post a reply( I bet someone will tell me what I did).But please contine to post with us here on the forum Your situation gives you a unique insight that is valued here.