Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor retired from farming years ago but still had a building full of equipment. Guess he thought he might get back in, but he's really getting up in years now, so sold a bunch of stuff at auction. DH was interested in a tractor, 1969 John Deere, no cab, no front loader, gas engine. One owner and well cared for, new rubber on the back. Well he could have saved himself the trouble, because the darn thing sold for $9000. That's more than it cost brand new!

It was a shock, because most of the farmers around here make their living at it and they have big newer tractors, with tracks instead of wheels, GPS, etc. They already have old tractors like that one around to run augers, pull wagons and do odd jobs where the small tractor is an advantage.

So, back to the old drawing board. We already have 2 old tractors, a '48 and a '59, both diesel. But they both have engine issues and we figured it would cost more to fix them than they are worth. Apparently not!

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 4020.

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did some prowling around online to decide on our limit. Some of those higher priced ones had been painted/restored, had rebuilt engines, front end loaders on them, etc. A small auction in an out of the way place, gas engine, no cab, no canopy, no front loader, etc., we never expected this one to go so high.

Got a nephew who is a diesel mechanic, he's got a project for this winter now if he'll take it on. One or the other of the old soldiers is getting a rebuild. Or, do them both and then sell one.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
That is a little high for a gas engine 4020, but it and the Ford N series are abou the 2 most popular tractors in North America.

So not really out of line.

My old New Holland 55 side rake had gearbox problems, let th old dealer in town put in new bearings I was busy with other stuff this miserable spring.... Got the bill, $600. Holy cow, you could buy a 55 for $300, a newer model rake for $600-1000 at auctions all the time! Was bummed.

Went to an auction this early fall, three 256 rakes on it. $1400, $2800, and $3100.

Wow, I felt better, prices have gone up......

Paul

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
4020 loader w/ cab goes for up to 14k in the lancaster paper.... it's not far off. anything in the 80+hp range is close to a 10k tractor in many places.... a 4050 with a cab is 15-25k... just sayin.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
About 4 years ago, I saw a JD 3020 gas with no cab or FEL sell at auction for almost $6,000, and it needed a total engine rebuild.

The tractor was in very nice condition, with nice paint and new decals, but IIRC, it had a broken crank.

As well, sometimes, if a seller is well respected in a community, generally speaking, when he sells stuff at auction, it can bring a premium. There was an estate that sold two years ago of a guy who owned a very rural machine shop. He was well known for repairing farm equipment when people got into a jam, and doing the repairs at no charge. The buyers showed up in droves, and bid up insane prices on his estate items. It was one of the wildest things that I've ever seen in my life, and I've been to a thousand auctions in my time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been to the auction quite a bit. If there's only one person interested in an item, they can get it cheap. If there are two or more people that really want an item, emotions can take over and the bids can be high. I saw the same thing happen with chicken watering containers. The lady ended up paying more for used ones than what they go for brand new. Plus she had to pay tax and buyer's fee.

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the first auction this close to home in the 25 years we have lived here. There have been several farmers in the area pass away, but no sales held. Their heirs must have kept everything or sold it privately.

These are very nice people and I'm tickled for them.

·
Transplanted Tarheel
677 Posts
We used to go to a lot of auctions and could usually get really good buys. In the last 5 years or so we've noticed a lot of buy bidders in the audience running up the bid or the auction companies allow their own employees to bid which usually results in them just running it up to the point to where it made more sense to me to buy new.

·
Registered
857 Posts
short story of two identical tractors.i veg farm with a ferguson te20(1948).wanted a little more power for plowing&discing.found 2 to-30's.20 miles apart.both in great shape-fluids changed,converted to 12volt.first one is $4600.2nd one was $2900.no difference in value.guy with $4600 unit will not budge(has cobwebs on it) owner of $2900 tractor says lets deal.brought it home for $2200.all my equipment will fit new unit. lesson? U GOTTA SHOP.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Interesting.

5 years ago we went to a local auction. They had a Case, newer tractor, enclosed cab, power take off, no leaks marking it's territory. Nice rig. It went for 6000. DH regrets not bidding on it to this day.

The property was a square mile of pasture land with out buildings, house, nice cattle operation. It went for 800 an acre.:shocked:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Neighbor retired from farming years ago but still had a building full of equipment. Guess he thought he might get back in, but he's really getting up in years now, so sold a bunch of stuff at auction. DH was interested in a tractor, 1969 John Deere, no cab, no front loader, gas engine. One owner and well cared for, new rubber on the back. Well he could have saved himself the trouble, because the darn thing sold for $9000. That's more than it cost brand new!

It was a shock, because most of the farmers around here make their living at it and they have big newer tractors, with tracks instead of wheels, GPS, etc. They already have old tractors like that one around to run augers, pull wagons and do odd jobs where the small tractor is an advantage.

So, back to the old drawing board. We already have 2 old tractors, a '48 and a '59, both diesel. But they both have engine issues and we figured it would cost more to fix them than they are worth. Apparently not!
Yeah when a pick up now costs $40,000 and old pickup can easily bring $4,000. I saw a car advertised at $60,000 having a sticker price of less than $5,000 on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
That is a little high for a gas engine 4020, but it and the Ford N series are abou the 2 most popular tractors in North America.

So not really out of line.

My old New Holland 55 side rake had gearbox problems, let th old dealer in town put in new bearings I was busy with other stuff this miserable spring.... Got the bill, $600. Holy cow, you could buy a 55 for $300, a newer model rake for $600-1000 at auctions all the time! Was bummed.

Went to an auction this early fall, three 256 rakes on it. $1400, $2800, and $3100.

Wow, I felt better, prices have gone up......

Paul
Bet you will make sure the thing is properly greased.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
The 4020 is an icon in the tractor world. Restorers want one, former owners want one, collectors want one. 4020 gas is a fuel loving beast, if to be used a lot be prepared to pay. Are they worth what they bring? Probably not for the average user, today. Are they better than the competition, better than new tractors? Cost effective? They are what they are and what they bring. Parts are plentiful and available, lots of them built, very popular tractor. I liked them as well as any tractor, in their day they were a great tractor. Now days I want cab and air, that can be had cheaper in a newer tractor for near the same money, even in green. And even have a "better" tractor for todays needs. Like the muscle cars of yesteryear....James

1 - 20 of 31 Posts