auction price question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dcs13, Jan 29, 2005.

1. dcs13

dcs13 Member

looking at this site:http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/csauction.htm
    Btw-thanks to who passed it along on this site.
    Anyway, when it says steers are selling at 115.00-121.00, is that per 100 pounds or how is that figured ?
    On the replacements they show $900 for the pair, so I understand that pricing. Its the slaughter prices I don't understand.
    Thanks in advance

2. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but fat cattle aren't bringing $121/cwt. (That's per 100 lbs.) That's got to be a feeder cattle price, and I'd guess those were 400-500 lb. beef steers or slightly smaller Holstein steers.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Drop bull calves will bring up to 1.50 per lb. Butcher steers up to .60 per lb

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

It all depends on what part of the country you are in. Here in SE MN,

Holstein veal calves sell from $1.20 to $2.00/lb last week

At special feeder sale last week, they had 1600 head of colored feeders between 300-500 lbs., and they brought from $1.30 to $1.42/lb.

For fats, colored cattle sold from $0.82 to $0.87/lb. Holsteins from $0.72 to $0.83/lb.

5. allen8106

allen8106 Well-Known Member

What you are seeing are slaughter prices per hundred weight. In Kansas slaughter cows, 80%-85% lean are bringing $59-$64 per hundred. Feeder steers will bring as much as twice that amount per hundred. Current prices for feeder steers in Kansas are between $94 ans $138, depending on weight. The lower weights are bringing more than the higher weights. At 1014 pounds, which is close to butcher weight, they are $94.50 per hundred.

6. dcs13

dcs13 Member

Thanks. Now I understand.
    I have 2 shorthorn bulls that are 6 months old. I am trying to decide if I want to auction them or try to sell as breeders. And I am in north Texas. Thanks again

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are purebred bulls you might be ahead to advertise them in an Ag paper, but either way you want to know what auction bulls of their caliber are bringing per pound. To sell as bulls privately you really need to know what they weigh, and add to the price they are worth at auction. The price of cattle gets lower as the calves get heavier. Last week in northern Ind auctions Colored Fat steers were going from 85 to 95 cents per pound. Auctioneers usually don't say cents, but say dollars, so they brought $85 to $95 per hundred weight.

8. dcs13

dcs13 Member

There in lies my problem. They ARE purebred, but I do not have papers on them. I was never given papers on their mothers. (my bad, lesson learned) Its a shame too because the one is gonna be a a GREAT bull. Their lineage comes directly from one of the top shorthorn breeders in the US.
    So am I right just running them through a sale ?

I need to buy some cows/heifers with papers so I can do better in private sales I think. Keeping in mind this is a "hobby" as we only have 30 acres

9. allen8106

allen8106 Well-Known Member

Depending on your asking price I might be interested in buying.

10. dcs13

dcs13 Member

If you will email me direct, I will take some pics and put them on my web site for you to look at. I will also give you details of what breeder/bull they came from.
    my email is dcs13@airmail.net

11. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

What part of Indiana had an auction? I've been going to a weekly auction in Lowell (wednesday's) kinda getting my feet wet and learning prices before I jump in.

tententencanyagimmefifteenfifteenfifteengimmetwentytwentytwentySOLD!

Dan

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Depends where your at, but here its around .70/lb for steers. That was fresh from a cattle hauler who goes to the market every week.

Jeff

13. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Djunhke, They have auctions at Topeka on Tues. They sell lots of holstien heifers there, plus other cattle. (Good Market- huge barn) Shipshewanna sells on Wed. They start with hay. Sell cattle and hogs next. Shipshe sells horses every Friday. They also sell antiques in a big pole barn at the same time as livestock on Wed. They also have a huge flea mkt there every Tues and Wed during the summer. These sales are in Amish country.
    Rochester sale is Sat. They have lots of baby calves and all other types of cattle. They sell lots of goats and sheep plus all sizes of hogs. Even have an ostrich or lima once in a while.
    Logansport has a big cattle sale on Friday. The get lots of feeders, and fat cattle.
    Boswell has a sale but I'm not sure what day. Its not a very large sale. None of these sell poultry or small animals like Lowell does, All these sales start about noon or a little before. They all have a good restuarant.