ATV trespassers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thegriffiths, Aug 3, 2006.

1. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

Hello all,

We have atv'ers that are coming onto our land from old logging trails on the properties around us. I cant seem to catch them but I see their tracks and sometimes trash.

I am thinking of putting gates on each end of my property, but gates are expensive to make. I dont think signs would deter them.

Any advice?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Are there any old brush piles in the area. You might want to use them. To block the trails..

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

We had this trouble a few years back with ATV's racing down our driveway in the middle of the night. Solution was putting up a heavy logging chain connected to cemented iron posts. They had no way around them and it ended the trespassing pretty quick.

4. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

by the way, i see you are from charleston. i have a sister in winfield. nice area down there.

5. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Block their access. I would have my Winter's wood supply or a pile of something like brush placed right where they are driving thru. Not dirt as they would just go right over it~sloppy manure would make things interesting tho! LOL

6. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

7. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Sorry the cat click the mouse so let me finish.

Keep an eye open what is working for me is trying to prevent it by blocking it but with vast land and logging trails it is hard.

Sat I got one and it is resolved.
    Got another one last night

If the are bold enough to go thru the block while they are having their fun we build it up higher and wait for them.

Last night a 19 year old got stuck behind the block. We really read him the riot act because of his attude. Once he changed his "I can see what I did wrong and owned up to his responcabilty we "ALLOWED HIM TO TAKE DOW THE BLOCK TO GET HIS ATV ACCROSS AND GAVE HIM THE HONOR OF BUILDER IT STRONGER HIS NEXT JOY WILL BE TO SHARE THE EVENTS OF THE NIGHT WITH HIS FRIENDS"

We are thinking of posting the names of those caught on the land next to the other signs. To let people know that we are responcable for our land. Sorta a new catch and release program. The persons attuded and change of heart means everything. Should someone not get it then they will walk and will only get their Atv via the trooper and tow truck. as only tow trucks are allowed by us on the land. Or they could push it and face charges.

8. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

It takes a lot to stop an atv, I know, I ride. Unless you can completely block their path, you may not be able to keep them out. Here in MA the Fish Police (Game Wardens), are the most anti ATV faction in the state, a call to them will have them in a state of high dudgeon for weeks. Do you have an Agency there that can go after the ATVers? I would try to contact these people first however, they may not be aware that you do not want them, and would reroute if they did. That is if they are responsible riders. If they do not comply, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the next level. I know of a farmer in upstate NY that had trouble with these people. They would have been allowed to ride, if only they would stay on the trails, and not tear up his alfalfa fields. He was out with his loader tractor one day and cought them, and they gave him some lip so he smashed everyone of their machines into the dirt. :clap:

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Are they hurting anything?

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

The noise they make hurts. It scares us, our critters and our wildlife.

The damage to the flora and fauna hurts....if I wanted scarred land, I would live in a city.

The loss of privacy hurts. I like to enjoy my land....alone. I do not like the shock of finding strangers where they do not belong.

The lack of security hurts. It scares me that people show up when and wherever they choose....on my property. Things get trashed. Things disappear. It makes me nervous, feeling as though I am being watched in the privacy of my own place.

The lack of respect hurts. Why should I not have my land to myself? They have paid no taxes there, they have put no effort into caring for this land. Why am I having to share it with strangers against my will?

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The Griffiths: Are they hurting anything?

12. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

sharpened rebar stakes pounded into the trails would tick them off. cover them with leaves. tires get to be expensive.

or, better yet, block the trails but leave obvious escape routes around the barracade and put the rebar there.

13. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

Always remember, when confronting any problem with another, think like a 'capitalist'... it is always about the money.

They are riding on your property because to them it is 'free'.

Try making warning signs at your property lineis on the logging trail like below.
    ------------
    Warning : Private Property No Tresspassing.

Warning : Tire spikes buried.
    ----------------
    Then on the bottom of the sign, nail a 3 ft 2x4 with a bunch of 16d nails driven in the bottom (al la tire spikes) right under the words tire spikes buried.

If they care about anything, it is probably the value of their ATV, and may not risk a couple of punctured tires and a tow for a ride down your road.

You won't have the liability of injury, but taking the time to make the signs and viewable tire spikes, they might just think that you are PO'ed enough to have put a few in the road somewhere.

Then if they don't go for it.. MELOC has the right ideas :]

Nothin' like a hot tire and a cold piece of sharp metal to change someones mind.

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Think like a capitalist? LOL you guys ALMOST got it !Post a sign 'ATV riding preserve" LIFETIME Membership ONLY $10,000 now if they wanta ride and you catch them at it they owe you ten grand sorta makes it worth the trouble ,heck you might wanna wite up bylaws and everything each rule break of course is punished by banishment . Each person to carry their own insurance!
    And dont forget to put an ad in the paper!

15. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

For those who ask are they hurting anything. How many times have you looked at a hillside that has tire tracks on them? Go back in a year and look at them again, as they will now prob be 2 ditches instead of tire tracks. We were advised by the DNR here in WV to put posted signs up and then if that didn't stop them try to block their access and then try to catch them. Yep it is hard being a land owner when other people think they can over run it and tear things up. Also if someone gets hurt on your property they may end up sueing you so put signs up and then you can have them arrested if you catch them. Luckily a couple signs and a walk around by the DNR ended our problen. Take care Tam,Sam,and our clan

16. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

Great idea with the "threat" of tire spikes, but becareful with actually using the tire spikes. If someone is injured on your property by your hand you can be held liable. I am not trying to discourage you, I work to keep ATV's footprint on my land minimized. I have kind of given up by asking people to stick to the trails and respect the land. This works in a small place like where I am from, not sure if it would work for you.

17. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

They are leaving trash and soon I will have animals on the property that they will be disturbing. Also I fear theft, havent had any problems yet but with all the valleys on my land I cant see all my barns from my home. So yes they are causing problems.

Their access to my property crosses a pipeline that I cannot block unless its a gate or something movable (which defeats the purpose).

I think that is my only true route, to put in a metal pipe gate that has a lock.

Thanks for the input.

18. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

"good fences make good neighbors"

...robert frost

19. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Do you have your land posted? No AtVs signs? That maybe all you need to do is make them aware you don't want them on your land. If that doesn't work then you can make other arrangements.

2x4's with nails usually do the trick - the only down side to this is when they knock on your door and ask to borrow the phone because they have a flat.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

"throat level barbed wire"