Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was worn out some 13 years ago, but like all stubborn old men, I can't just lay down and die just yet. With this in mind, I also do not want to encourage a premature exodus by getting the wrong type of equipment for my field maintenance.

My home property is typical KY hill country, complete with wooded grades exceding 45 degrees. We are currently logging areas of the property in the 20-30 degree slope area and need an ATV to pull loads of firewood out. The problem is I know nothing about these things... the ATVs, not the logging. I am currently beating up my 1042 Cub Cadet and want to save the old girl before destroying the mower permaninatly.

Most ATVs look a little 'top' heavy to me, and I'm not so sure they'd be up to pulling a couple of hunred pounds of wagon/wood up these slopes, so I was wondering...

Would smaller tires, lowering the center of gravity, help with stability? I'm not stump jumping, or crossing deep gullys, so I'm sure we can get by with less than 6" of ground clearance.

What is the pulling capacity of these things, and how do you control flipping over backwards?

What would you do, 'cause basically the logging has to take place? I'm open to ideas.

·
Ret. US Army
870 Posts
Take a look at a logarch.
Logrite.com
Its featured in Sawmill and woodlot mag this month.
jim

·
Registered
528 Posts
The only machine I would spend a cent on is a Polaris Ranger.
The terrain that machine can't handle hasn't been made yet.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
An ATV will not have the weight to get traction to pull in your conditions. A small 4 wheel drive tractor still would not get the traction needed, it will just spin. Weight and a low center of gravity along with a hitch point that will allow the load to be transferred under the machine and below the rear differential is what is needed. Some type of tracked machine would be ideal but cost prohibitive. Something like an old wide front end Allis Chambers tractor should be available cheap. With liquid in the front tires and a carry all box mounted on the front would let you load the front with wood as a counter balance and a hitch mounted on the drawbar, NOT THE LIFT ARMS would let you pull a trailer in a low low gear over rough terrain rather safely using caution.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
With all the logging taking a halt all around the country a person aught to be able to find a functional but inexpensive crawler or skidder that is made for the grade you are tackling, many friends of mine and a fe relatives have had upsets on 4 wheelers [and 3 wheelers] that cuased minor to major problems [no deaths , but a couple were close] one friend lost his machine down a deep canyon and there it still sits after rolling and toppling and breaking apart..... he walked away from that one but the machine was totaled.

When skidding logs one fella i know used a three wheeler and attached the skid chain to the frame up near the motor to keep the front end on the ground, but he was more on the level and skidding down a slight slope, not pulling up.

a log arch would be a decent idea, but wont allow the weight transfer to the driver wheels properly for optimum traction.....

A small crawler like a 350 john deere would give you a whole lot of machine for using in other areas as well as skidding/ puling a trailer on the drawbar.

William
Idaho

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
are you just taking the firewood? how about a mounted winch and chain off the ATV to a tree, pulling a little at a time?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I am "beat up" a bit so I can't bend enough to even put on my own pants and socks... thank God I have a wife with a sense of humor!

Anyway, yes, this is mainly firewood, which I usually roll over to a small Craftsmn, plastic yard wagon, then tilt, roll larger logs in it, then tilt back into position. I then finish the load with small stuff I hook with my cane and slide in. I then drag it about 500 yards, up hill, and dump it in the wood pile with a Lt 1042 Cub Cadet w/chains. It's not quick, but you would be surprised what an old man can accomplish in 1-2 hours a day 365 days a year. The problem arose last week when a "hanger" came loose in a wind gust and dropped a 16" black locust tree on top of the Cub, busting it more or less into obivion... I'm glad I was taking a nap under a different tree and not on the mower at the time!

Now we are out a lawn mower and have to come up with a new way of doing things on our little 12 acre spread, so was looking into other options. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I was given a sled from Cabelas, like one of these, I think. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It has been pulled behind a snow machine for miles, used to haul dead animals up to elk size, etc. It is really slick plastic. We shoot and stick a butcher hog, roll it into this sled, then drag it over to the hoist and it drags easily. It's also great for dragging a deer, much easier than a rope and a back ache.

Any chance you could use a long rope so your ATV is on top of the hill and not on a steep incline when you pull?

I have a large box on the front of my 4 wheeler and when I have to climb a steep mountain, I will put big rocks in it to keep the front end down.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Something we used to do when we burned wood to heat our house is

take an old wheel barrel/barrow (which ever it is) and use just the barrel part,
drill a hole in the front and put a big eye hook on it and bolt it fast..
now you can attach a line to it and either winch it up the hill from a post in the ground or drag it up with an ATV.

This acts like a sled and is made of metal so it takes a beating... I still have it around, but we no longer use wood so I don't use it..

·
Registered
505 Posts
The only machine I would spend a cent on is a Polaris Ranger.
The terrain that machine can't handle hasn't been made yet.
Agree! The Ranger is the way to go. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I'm old and pretty beat up too so I kinda understand what you're talking about. I just bought a Polaris 500 Sportsman, in low range and 4WD it that will pull an astonishing amount of weight and I suspect would go a lot of places I'm not about to try and ride it. It is relatively heavy with the engine mounted low about in the center of the frame, very stable if just a little common sense is used. I have a shop built cart a good bit larger and a sturdier than an ordinary yard cart. I pile a lot of wood on it and pull it up a pretty stiff grade out of the creek bottom to the house. It will pull more and do it easier than your Cadet Cub. A really handy machine if your physical condition would allow you to get on and off of one, and a lot cheaper than a Ranger.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
Mayo Clinic calls ATVs "Donor Cycles" because they get so many organs from people that flip them and break their necks.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"I have a shop built cart a good bit larger and a sturdier than an ordinary yard cart. I pile a lot of wood on it and pull it up a pretty stiff grade out of the creek bottom to the house. It will pull more and do it easier than your Cadet Cub."

Can you tell me how it's built, perhaps a photo or so? I'm a pretty handy guy with my hand (right one isn't up to much more than being a giant clamp), as long as there isn't a time limit set. I always wanted to build a go dang near anywhere vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts