Attractive effective woven wire replacement ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AmericanStand, Feb 14, 2018.

1. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

I’ve moved to town , not in the village but one property line is in common with the village limits.
    I need to fence in a few ducks and a dog and fence Out a few dogs and humans.
    My first thought was my old standby sheep and goat fence I even bought a couple rolls
    But the GF pointed out it’s a nice house and pretty much in town and she just doesn’t want to look redneck.
    So what have you found to be attractive effective alternatives ?

I really DONT like the look of prison/factory chain link.
    Perhaps I’ll use field fence from the house back and something else forward ?

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

There is a company that makes a woven wire fence that has wire arches at the top. Makes for an old fashioned look to a flower garden. Hutchenson seems like the name, you can google it. But it is real pricy.
    You could put up a nice split rail fence and string woven wire inside, against it. Same with the white plastic rail fence.
    A friend put up hog panels to keep his big dogs enclosed, but the neighbors squawked. I think if he could have gotten some shrubs growing, no one would have noticed.

3. Wind in Her Hair

Wind in Her Hair Interrobanger Supporter

Northwoods MN, by way of the great Texas Republic
    What Haypoint recommended, or just a plank top rail, mid rail, and a bottom plank to staple the field fence do- the wire practically disappears.

b7a67b9d760f79ad1e2ddd526141402d--duck-fence-x-wood-projects.jpg

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Paint the fencing black or dark green and no one will notice.
    If it's a well built, neatly installed fence it will look fine.

Redneck's don't do "neat".

5. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

If you get a roll of wire straight from the factory, it will be shiny. Leave it out in the rain for a few weeks and it'll tone down to a less eye catching gray.

RichNC likes this.
  6. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

White picket fence. It's actually on my wish list so if you put one up I'll be jealous. LOL

7. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

I love a board fence. If the area is of any size, though, it's gonna cost dearly, plus, then you have to buy wire, too. It's almost like having to put up two fences.

When I was back in PA, a neighbor had wire fence with just the top board, nothing else. And a local sawmill sold them 4/4 oak boards, rough sawn, maybe 8" wide that they used. The posts for the wire fence were just 4X4 or 6X6, can't remember which, might have been some of each. Not a full wooden fence but also more than just wire.

8. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I suppose bright orange or green snow fence is out of the question....

I would do like some others have said, wire fence concealed by a prettier, neater wooden fence. IMO that arch top woven old fashioned fence is ugly. We had that around the yard when I was a kid. It was covered up by a wooden fence much like the one in Wind In Her Hair's post, but our fence was painted white. The wire held up longer than the wood.