Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put a push up attic access panel in my laundry room to access the ceiling above my kitchen. The house is stick construction with 2X6 ceiling joist 16 in on center. I want the access to be two joist sections wide. Do I just cut the ceiling joist and box in the joist to make the opening? Do I need to use ceiling joist hangers on the cross prices or just nail them.. I am thinking double up the frame in order to support the weight of hubby when he goes in through the hole..any issues with this plan..I will add a plywood panel that drops down on trim prices around opening as well as add insulation to the attic side of the plywood.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
What's up there? Trusses, joists and rafters, etc?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof rafters and ceiling joist...no trusses. Just will be access to check..the electrical wiring for the house comes through there and down to the electric circuit box in laundry room so I want access to check or if We add insulation..no flooring or any storage will be in this attic..we have a bigger attic in the other part of house.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Have an attic access in my garage, it is simply boxed in. Although it is in a corner where the walls add to the support.
Should also note that the cut rafter is not in the area of in/out traffic. In other words, there is no reason to step on the cut rafter to get into or out of the attic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts