Attention: Penny Pinchers III

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Janis Sauncy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

Ok, I had to break down and go to WalMart yesterday. I've been trying to stay out of there and patronize my little local grocery store, even though, except for their loss leaders and marked down meat, their prices tend to be a little higher. However, my 11-year-old needed shoes desperately....his p.e. shoes didn't make it through the first week of school before they got stolen and his everyday shoes were toast.

So, starting at one end and ending up at the grocery section as usual, I passed through the lighting section. I had light bulbs on my list and have been replacing all the old bulbs with the "energy-smart," spiral ones. I noticed on one display they had the 3-pack "value pack" for $7.58. On the next display, they had what looked to me the same bulb, singly wrapped, for 98 cents each. Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, but even I can do the math......

I stood there for awhile, though, comparing the packages. I've been caught in traps before where things look the same, but, if you're not paying attention, you find there is some little thing different and you're not necessarily getting what you think you are. A clerk walked by and I asked him, just to be sure, if they were the same bulbs. He said they were and the one display of single packs, which he had just filled, was almost out already.

I asked him if he was sure they weren't being marked wrong and he said, "no," they had a ton of these single-packed bulbs, that he didn't know if they were a special promotion or what. I figured I was going to spend over $7.00 for a pack of three, so I went ahead and bought seven of the single packs. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a few more, but they last forever (well, a really, really long time, anyway) and I already have pretty much already replaced most of my old bulbs. I needed two of these yesterday and the other five went in the cupboard and will probably be there for awhile.

So, don't think it's worth a special trip to Wal Mart, and don't know if it's even available at all of them, but if you're going there anyway today, I would certainly check it out!

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the information. I have been slowly replacing my old bulbs for the energy efficient ones and they can be a little expensive.
    I too, hate going to WallyWorld. After they built the new SuperCenter in Independence, Kansas, Dillon's, Food For Less, Penney's, and K-Mart all closed!!! The prices keep going up and the quality keeps going down.

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Fred Meyer's is having a 48 year anniversary sale with those bulbs for $.99 a piece too. FYI- for thossse in Fredy's area.

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I will see if a store around me had them at that price. No WAY am I stepping foot in WM.

5. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I try real hard to stay out of Wal Mart. Unfortunately, as a single parent, when my kids need shoes or socks or I need something for the household (like the light bulbs), I have to suck it up and go in (it's all about the prices).

I try to patronize my locally-owned businesses as much as possible. The feed store I go to is a one-man operation located right on the guy's farm. When I recently needed tires, I got them from the little tire store rather than Les Schwab, and the grocery store I go to most, the owners actually know how to run the registers!

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Yep, yep, yep. Discovering more and more that buying the bulk pack ("value pack") doesn't necessarily mean you will be saving money!

Thanks for the tip. I will be going to Walmart next week so will check out what they happen to have. I just had a regular light bulb blow out in a lamp (couldn't fit a large "smart bulb" in it before) and wife replaced it with a 100 watt regular bulb. :grump: (Energy saving is not a priority with her.)

The bulbs do last a long time but I've noticed after a couple of years they aren't as bright as they once were. Anyone else notice that?