Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Attempted breeding my doe and buck new Zealand's for the first time tonight. Their first time breeding And my first time breeding rabbits

He mounted her Allot of times. Seemed to the deed but he didn't do that falling over thing that I keep reading about. Do they have to fall over to know he actually Did what he was supposed to do? Any other way to tell besides waiting 7 days? Any advice would help! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Falling over is a pretty darned good indication, though. I wouldn't consider a breeding complete till I saw it. :) They at least should kick up their rear legs and 'sit' on their butt... usually this makes them tip over. Most bucks will grunt, too.

Here's a video of a successful mating. Notice the doe laying flat and standing on her toes on the back feet. Her tail is up. As soon as the buck mounts she assumes this stance. Sometimes the doe will lay down but plant her butt in a silent 'no'. Sometimes she gets offended and attacks him. Sometimes she spins in circles to get away (and sometimes they'll still stand if you cover their eyes to calm them down).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0lCCrVcf7Y[/ame]

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Fall over means they did it. But does not guarantee pregnancy.

You should see her lift and him meet. Flip her over and check for wetness. You can repeat the breeding a few times a day for a couple days if you want. But do not bring her back to breed for "checking to see if she was bred". That is a myth and lie, total crap. Palpate at 14 days if you know how, but some does hide their embryos, so not a 100% method. Even waiting a full 30 days for nesting is not full proof. If there are no kits, it failed, that is the only 100% method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts