Attempeted Ebay Scam!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I just bought a tractor on ebay. I emailed the seller beforehand, looked at the tractor, bid on the item, and won it. Payed for it yesterday and picked it up. Excellent transaction.

Now I get an email from some clown claiming to be the seller, saying I am the default winner, blah blah, need to confirm the matter, yada yada, respond imediatly, yada blah yada blah.

Well, this old redneck might DRIVE a turnip truck, but he didn't just fall off one! The matter has been reported to ebay. May they catch the little turd, and may the lice of a thousand camels infest his undies!

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

That's not uncommon. Ignoring the scammer, and reporting to ebay are the ways to deal with it.

3. DoubleBee

DoubleBee Well-Known Member

I get those all the time, even though I haven't bought or sold on ebay for well over a year. They go in the spam box.
    "Respond immediately" .. I did. Deleted it. :)

4. tinknal

Well, ebay sent me a form email stating the obvious (that it is a scam). Looks like a polite blow off to me. I have half a mind (yeah I know, I know) to respond and mess with his mind a little...............LOL

5. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

i get them all the time too, even if i dont buy anything. I remember to send a copy of it to them, so they can trace it. BUT DONT click the link thats in that email, it is sometimes a virus waiting to LEAP to your pc!

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Actually there is a group of ebayers who do actually play with these folks trying to tie up their mailboxes etc - fun for us and problems for them. I love to play along and tell them I have sent the money etc but dont! I also report them to ebay. sis

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

So,you won the tractor that you posted about before...the Ford? Cool! Glad you got it :)

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

tell him you will only pay in cash and in person. then get him busted.

9. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I get evil thoughts when I envision this....LOL!!! :hobbyhors YEE HA!!!

10. tinknal

Yeah, It no saled the first time. He re-listed it and I went down to look at it. Super condition, very well taken care of and maintained, purrs like the proverbial kitten, starts on the first crank (of the starter, no crank LOL). I think it was probably owned by a township or county at one time as it has an amber strobe light. Still has the original owners manual and service manual from Ford. If Ford still made machines this well they wouldn't be closing plants right now.

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I would be interested in how they got your e-mail addy. Do you sell also to where they might have gotten it there by asking you a question on one of your listings?

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I get those for stuff I never bid on. I forward them with headers to spoof@ebay.com

13. tinknal

Ken, when you bid on ebay it shows your email.

14. Ken Scharabok

I am about 99.9% sure only the seller can see your e-mail addy and they have to log into the system in order to do so. eBay has become VERY sensitive about giving out e-mail addys.

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

They can look at your profile and contact you. Not sure if they can see your email that way, but they could look at your listings from where you've sold things, and maybe get your email there. (some people put their email on their listing page).

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a bust here in Chicago. Here's the story:

Web auction scam charged
    8 Chicago-area arrests in scheme targeting unsuccessful bidders

By Jeff Coen
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published December 13, 2006

Eight people were arrested in the Chicago area Tuesday as part of an Internet fraud scheme that allegedly included bogus auctions on eBay and involved millions of dollars, federal authorities said.

Some 2,000 people may have been victimized between November 2003 and last August, authorities said.

Prosecutors charged 21 people with wire fraud in a complaint unsealed Tuesday. In the scheme, which originated in Romania, people who were unsuccessful bidders at Internet auctions were given a "second chance" to buy big-ticket items, according to the complaint. Assistant U.S. Atty. Brian Hayes said participants in the ring would contact those who had bid unsuccessfully in the auctions. "Sometimes they would offer the exact item that people had bid on previously, saying that the guy who was going to purchase it had fallen through," Hayes said, adding that the items varied.

"It was cars, ATV's, motorcycles, trailers," he said, "even farm equipment."

The victims were told to send money via Western Union to someone in the Chicago area, the complaint states.

You can find the rest of the story here:
    http://tinyurl.com/yfuo2g

Pony!

17. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

I just recently was bidding on an ebay item -- it showed the other bidders as bidder 1 and bidder 3. At first this looked like something funny until I noticed that there was a statement from ebay on the page saying that they are not starting to block the identity of bidders from other than the seller to prevent people from pulling various scams. Don't know if they have this on all of the auctions yet.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

18. Ken Scharabok

Checked one auction I am bidding on and I can see the user ID of all of the other bidders. Checked another I am not bidding on and same results.

I think it is a good idea for eBay though.