Attaching a pump to gravity feed spring

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by bethlaf, Feb 28, 2005.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Well, I went up and piped my spring all the way down to the house, now the question is can i put a pump on it to put the pressure through the line to service the house with it?

we do have the springs sealed so that they only drain in to our water lines.

will this pump the water out to quickly, that is what my thoughts are.
    Even though the gravity feed supplies a lot of water I think the pump will cause the water level to drop to rapidly.

I dont think the pressure is enough to go through a hotwater tank then feed out.

any thoughts, or suggestions?

_Neal

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't you need a storage cistern (top or bottom) to collect the water, & then your pump will draw from that cistern tank & pressurize your plumbing? The spring can take it's time filling the cistern, the pump can draw down from the supply in the cistern.

--->Paul

3. mink

mink Well-Known Member

my house is spring fed ....the water goes into what i call the spring house ....its got a barrel inside it and an overflow pipe......water never stops running . the pipe from the barrel then goes to the house to the pump in the cellar and is pressurized to send it threw out and to my next door neighbor.the barrel in my ''spring house'' never goes dry and as it has an over flow line to take excess water away it never freezes.