Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After raising and breeding PBPs for 1.5 years, we finally have plenty to BBQ at the age of 10 months and under. The first one was a female that injured a leg this winter, how, I do not know. She could walk with a limp, but preferred to just lie around.

22LR took her out easily, ((I aimed for (and hit) just off center of a cross between ears and eyes.)) then a stick with a sharp knife.
We had decided to skin her and cut her up. It took us an hour, not bad at all.
The ribs had almost no meat on them. She didn't seem too fatty, although when I'm ready to make lard I can see that they will be a good source if TSHTF.

I weighed one back leg/ham/roast? 4lb 6 oz. Not too big, but as I said she mostly just layed around.

The first meat we ate I roasted for about 10 hours at a low temp, covered with foil, and then put on the BBQ with some sauce. Not bad, but not super tender. I had to do it that way because we were having company, but had to be away most of the day. Being off grid, I can't run a crock pot all day.
The ribs were boiled for an hour then put on the grill. They were good but not much meat.

The rest has been boiled for several hours until falling off the bone, then deboned and frozen for later use. It is VERY GOOD and tender and juicy, like from a crock pot. Will make great sandwiches or additions to rice, noodles etc.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. the next one we do will probably be scalded and scraped, then butterflied and cooked the "3 Guys from Miami" way... The regular pig we did that way before was great.

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

All in all, since there are only two of us, we will have a terrific home grown source of pork for the future, and they don't eat alot!
Now I have to learn how to make ham, and maybe Canadian bacon...yum... :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! I always tought you got it from them! Your recipes are priceless, I already had them all saved on my hard drive!

As for weight, we had no way to weigh her, which is why I posted the size of a back leg minus the hoof and first joint...
she wasn't all that big, and hadn't had much excercise, so I wasn't surprised at what we got off of her.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Thank you for the kind words bbbuddy. :)
I got the cinderblock method from a member of the Kansas City BBQ society.
I think several folks use the same method. It really works like a charm. :)

I like the idea of a small pig for a small family, we still raise hogs and keep a couple back each year for ourselves. I might have to switch to something small in the future when it's just me and DH here.
Thanks again for the kind words and your post, I enjoyed reading about your success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts