At what point do we destroy ourselves?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 13, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We tend to a grass air strip, complete with 4 horses, 3 goats, 11 pigs, and 4 calves, all present to continue the property's ag status. IE, tax exemption. There has been no hay for 4 days now, only apparently 1 bag of corn and 1 bag of sweet feed was present. At what point do we turn on these rich people and report them?

We have bought feed out of our own pocket to see that the critters are fed, two occasions now. The owners is also our landlord (as much as I hate that word), when do we react against his actions? At the risk of being evicted?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you discussed the situation with the owner?

3. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Save your receipts for hay, feed and grain. Deduct total from your rent check. Enclose note explaining that you knew landlord could not be reached,and asking how he would like you to handle it in the future. Tell him that it is not a problem and that you love taking care of his animals when he is away. Maybe he has a special place to get feed that is cheaper than you are paying? Maybe he has, like most, a credit arrangement with the local elevator that can keep you out of your own pocket? If landlord knows he can always rely on you to cover for him when he has a family emergency or otherwise has to be gone (longer than expected) and if he knows that you will treat the stock as you would your own -- and delight in the process, you will never be evicted. jmho

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Mitch has contacted the landlord beginning a week ago letting him know the hay would run out.

The hitch to this deal is we were given receipts, by the landlord, from the feed store for 60 bags of feed and 10 bales of hay. After we picked up the first 20 bags of feed we were told to give the receipts to the other caretaker and she would take care of picking up the feed. We couldn't pick up less than 20 bags of feed nor less than 10 bales of hay. Whatever was on the receipt is what had to be picked up, period.

She hasn't come through. On the first day without feed I began scraping the bottom of the barrels and gave the animals some of the alfalfa cubes and the treats that look like red doggy biscuits. The second day I finished scraping the bottom of the barrels and gave them almost all of the treats left. The third day there was no feed, only hay. On that day, I went to the feed store and bought two bags of feed. I couldn't take the begging and crying for food and knew the gal that was supposed to buy the food wouldn't come through. Three days later there were two more bags of feed picked up and paid for.

Finally, yesterday about three bags of feed showed up. Of course, it's almost gone today. I wonder... What's up with this? Is she picking up the feed the man gave her receipts for, selling the feed and buying other feed for these animals and feeding them only occasionally? Something I've noticed is the more hay we feed the animals, the less feed she gives them. She buys 12% protein and the landlord pays for 10% protein. I'm thinking she's feeding them a higher percent protein feed to make up for the times she doesn't feed. Where's the 40 bags of feed and 10 bales of hay the man paid for?

When we interviewed for this job he stipulated he wanted someone that was honest. I can see why he had this stipulation.

We hadn't been here a week and he and his wife said they could see a difference in the cows. We've noticed that the pigs and two of the horses no longer have hip bones and backbones showing. This is a man, with a profession that keeps him busy six days a week, that's depending on others (that he pays well) and is getting shafted.

I know I'll get reimbursed for the expense of the feed. My only problem is I spent some of my grocery money so these animals could eat. We will be talking to the man about how someone else is spending his feed money and not caring for his animals properly.

5. shiloh

shiloh Active Member

Send the owner a certified letter, explaining the situation. Let him know that you are doing your best, but without food his animals may suffer, and that you can't afford to keep buying their food out of your own pocket. Be nice about it and try not to be melodramic, but let him know what is going on.
    I would think that he can make other arrangements for the food to be delivered.
    Do not put this off and keep dipping into you own money. Besides the owner has a right to know what it going on.
    I would also think that the owner would value the way you care for HIS animals like they were your own. JMHO.

6. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the landlord needs to know that his other caregiver is not doing her job. You dont want to be quiet and get blamed for this...Id do it right away.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Three bags of feed yesterday which I assume equals 150 pounds and it is about gone today. I am not familiar with the proper ration for several of the species you mentioned, but that seems like a lot of grain being fed. Are you sure you are giving the proper amount?

I would think that Florida would still have plenty of grazing so that it wouldn't take much hay.

Don't take my message wrong, I agree that the animals in your care need proper feeding and I applaud you for seeing that it is getting done. However many animals, especially horses, are real pigs and will eat way more than proper if given the chance.

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How about "We need feed by the end of the day, xyz has the receipts, and she is NOT picking up the feed even though she KNOWS we are out."

"What would you have us do?"

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

11 pigs will eat alot not to mention the other animals----but something doesnt sound right....the hay should have been laid in while supplies were plentiful and most critters except pigs can get by on hay and pasture when given adequate supply if times get tough...

Honestly I cannot fathom the type of folks you find to work for....what makes them so willfully crooked and irresponsible with their animals?

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Actually, it sounds like the owners have already paid the feed store. It is just that Mitch needs the receipts so it can be picked up. The other lady has them and she has taken them and done......WHAT?????

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

There is no pasture, these animals are living on sand lots, all vegetation has long been consumed. I am having trouble handling this, the neglect, the noninvolvement, ect.

The owner drives a Mercedes, as does his wife; he owns a lot of properties in this area. We have no funds to go elsewhere, the problem is in our face, there is a need for action immediantly, just not sure what to do.

12. Fla Gal

The three 50# bags of feed lasted only a few days because I've been feeding them twice a day instead of once because of there being no hay. I also increased the amount per feeding due to having no hay and the lower temperatures.

One bag doesn't go far when the pigs are getting a big five gallon bucket full twice a day and the four calves are getting about a five gallon bucket full a day. The three goats have been getting about four (five pound) coffee cans full a day. I try to give the cows and goats (ruminants) enough so they will have a bit of cud to chew.

They're in fenced areas with 'no' grazing left. The areas are too small to sustain them on grass and they've eaten all the green stuff that's edible. Up until the hay ran out we'd been giving them free choice hay 24/7 per the owners request.

Terri, you're right, the other gal still has the receipts (maybe). Maybe she lost them, I don't know. The owner? I'm not sure he knows quite what's going on. When we're able to catch up with him we'll be able to explain the situation as we've seen and experienced it.

Unless things change, the next trip to the feed store will include at least a couple bales of hay. Sad part is, I've heard bad things out of her mouth about him. She has no respect for him and I believe she would cheat him in a fraction of a heartbeat.

The man spent almost $300 on feed and it isn't being picked up and brought to the animals. Too bad the animals are suffering because of her.

13. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, call the feed store and find out how much feed has been picked up. Let them know that there is a problem with the receipts and see if they can look it up in thier records for you until you can talk to the owner.

14. mpillow

I would email him and let him know the situation so you have some record of the he said/she said. Send the email high priority so he sees it. :shrug:

Dates and deliveries and what you've purchased out of pocket and How soon can I get a full shipment and at specified regularity.

15. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

No offense, but the goats will get sick if they get only feed and no hay. If you can't get them hay, try alfalfa pellets.

The other gal is still working for this guy? WHY?

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I am going to turn off this puter, go to the other womans house and find out what her problem is, this may cost a lot more than anticipated, but there will be changes today.

17. mpillow

How'd you make out?

18. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

moopups, I hope you have the opportunity to discuss the feed supply with the owner pronto....it is *very bad* for horses, goats, cows to be OUT of hay. Those horses are setting up for colic, big time.

Why don't you ask him about arranging 5 or 10 tons of hay? And set up an account at the feed store so you can pick up what sack feed is needed, and stop relying on the other person involved? Giive him a written list of what the animals truly need in a month's time, so he know what to expect.

If you can't get it rectified, you might mention to him that he is at risk for intervention on the part of animal control, SPCA, etc. I would only say that as a last resort though.

19. Fla Gal

Not only did the other caretaker 'not' get feed, she got into the stash I had for the animals. :flame: Not that I mind her feeding them the food available but, I'm wondering why she can't take the invoices to the feed store and get the feed and hay she was supposed to pick up. I don't have her phone number and I've seen her only twice since we've been here. Talking with her is close to being a dream.

While I stayed at the airstrip and worked, Mitch went to the feed store this evening and picked up two more #50 pound bags of feed and two bales of really nice looking coastal hay. And... ha ha... the remaining feed is in the front of my truck so I'll have it to feed the animals tomorrow. I divided the two bales of hay up between them. I'll never again leave even a cup full of feed at the airstrip that I've paid for. I'm going to do my best to bust this gal big time.

I'm really ticked. She works part time and can't go get feed for the animals? Yeah... right. Anyone that tells me mini horses with sand guts, hips and backbones showing are butter balls, in my humble opinion, isn't qualified to be caring for any animal. She's looking at the big guts and not seeing the whole skinny animal with a fuzzy coat in the middle of summer. To her a big bloated stomach equals a butter ball. :flame: :flame: :flame:

Tomorrow we'll do our best to catch up with the landlord/owner and clue him in to the 'rest of the story'.

20. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Went to the landlords office today to do the grounds keeping we were hired to do, he appeared but did not have time to speak with us because he was 'swamped' with clients. He is an oral surgeon.

A latter phone call to his wife yielded a voice mail recording, I am so disillusioned with people from Europe, immigrants in general. Why do they come here to destroy reality? We will not stand by and see animals starve, even if the cost is our currant home, their cost will be a long drawn out court associating if this situtation does not correct its self soon.

We bought hay again today, our gas and grocery money is now extended to feed their animals, whats wrong with this picture? Fla Gal acts on the problem, I hold back enough to see us through, via debit card, VISA, and pocketed cash, this situtation need to change immediantly.