At what age to wean?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TINYMARIA, Sep 2, 2005.

1. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

At what age does everyone wean their kids?

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Does are weaned at the beginning of breeding season if their dams have not weaned them earlier. Does born in March are seperated off by themselves, and the does old enough to breed are put in with their bucks.
    Wethers are separated from their mothers as the doe heads to the barn for kidding, or when they are shipped.
    We have a couple of does that do not wean their kids until the kids are close to eight or nine months old. We have a doe who kidded December 29th and is still working on weaning her wethers.
    With bottle kids we tend to wean them around three to five months. We pay attention to the other dams and follow their lead. So it can differ year to year.

Basically, the does are allowed to wean their kids naturally unless they take too long. :rolleyes:

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

people normally wean at 4-8 weeks. i just started weaning mine, they are separated at night from mommy and allowed back with her for the day.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We just wait until the boys are sold or the mamas get tired of giving them milk.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

people normally wean at 4-8 weeks.

You had really better know what you are doing to wean at 8 weeks. Weaning younger and HORRORS at 4 weeks isn't going to give you live kids, or certainly if they do make it into adulthood, they will lack bone and size, and certainly health.

Weaning at 8 to 12 weeks is fine, once again the earlier you wean (8 weeks) the more skilled you need to be at nursing, know small ruminant managment, and understand nutiriton. All the calcium kids need is in the milk they are recieving, take them off that milk and put them on grass hay, pasture and some sweet feed and they are not getting enough calicum to grow to their potential.

I wean after 12 weeks, as long as I have the milk I offer it, this year the kids were alot more interested in going out into their new woods pen, and self weaned about 14 weeks. Make sure they are eating. Not just nibbling. Eating before you wean, they have to get calories to replace the milk you are taking them off of or they will fail to thrive. Weaning is also stressful when done young, so make sure you cocci and worming program is top notch. Vicki

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We wean at 8 weeks with no problems. Sell the kids at that age provided they are eating and drinking on their own. One doe nursed well past 5 months; depends mostly on mom.

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I wean at around 3 months but sometimes go a little bit longer if the kid(kids) need it.

MotherClucker
    ps: That goes for dam raised and bottle raised.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I've never had any problem weaning at 8 weeks, sharp. The kids are always eating very well by that time - free choice grass hay, minerals and alfalfa pellets. But then, and this is important, my kids are dam raised. It seems that dam raised kids learn to eat more quickly and develop their rumens more quickly than bottle-fed kids. All the bottle-fed kids I've seen I would not feel comfortable weaning at 8 weeks. This is, of course, just my opinion. Your mileage may differ.

9. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

We wean ( bottle and dam raised ) between 3 months - 4 months. And like others have said, only when they are thirivng.

10. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

two of my goats that i have had were weaned at 4 weeks. Cameron, my wether who died of pneumonia at age two, was absolutely huge for a pygmy. Boston, who I still have, is also large. they are (or were) both very healthy animals. The place where i got them from has never had a problem weaning them at four weeks. my other goat, Daisy, was weaned at 8 weeks. again, no problem.
    daisy's babies are being weaned now, at almost 5 weeks. so far so good.
    i can understand if the baby goats didnt touch thier grain or hay, but they seem to enjoy each, and eat abundantly. they only spend the night away from her, for now. that will change next tuesday, when they turn 6 weeks.
    they will be separated then.

11. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

Thanks to everyone for there replies.