At what age is a buck to old to breed?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by holleegee, Jun 25, 2005.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

When is a buck to old to breed? What is the oldest buck you have used? (I have a 2 1/2 year old english angora buck and I am thinking about buying a doe.) Thanks for your help.

2. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Alot of breeders won't hang onto a buck that long...
    but it's usually more because his offspring need a
    sire and his usefulness is done there...If you get a
    doe who's at breeding age already, he'd probably
    be able to father at least one litter for ya. It can
    depend more on his health than age...I'd be more
    doubtful if it was a 2 1/2 y.o. doe who'd never
    been bred. Our oldest buck is 1 1/2 and does fine...

3. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

alot will depend on his general health weather his feedwe have couple angora buck I believe is 4years old . we donot use him in the summer only in the cool of spring and late fall we have couple younger than him weDONOT push our rabbits

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I don't know a *ton* about rabbits (getting my first angoras in the fall and my first NZWs this weekend, although I've read everything I can get my hands on.) The breeder I plan to get my angoras from though, has had her rabbits live well into their teens (French and English angoras).

C.

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I had a grand champion mini rex that we used for 5 years. He was a fighter, he didn't want to give up his girls, ya know. I would say that it depends on his health and ability. He may need a lot of time to recover or won't be able to suscessfully breed aggressive does. Some can do it and if he's who you want to breed, go for it.

6. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I have had bucks close to 7 breed without a problem. Ususally I don't keep them that long through, due to the fact that anything past their first breeding season seems to go sterile in this Louisiana summer.

7. Sherpadoo

Sherpadoo Well-Known Member

As long as his does keep having baby's you know he's able to breed. A lot of them keep breeding until they've got a foot in the grave. But you do need to think about diversity in your line. And sometimes a new buck will add to the quality of your rabbits like you wouldn't believe. Just make sure you're keeping good records so your one buck doesn't become, Great-Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad, and half brother all to the same litter of kits. ;)