At what age do you successfully breed young bucks?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tioga12, Jul 26, 2006.

1. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

I have a yearling and older doe who were kept with a Saanen buck that was born last January. Do they have been with the buck fulltime until this past weekend, July 22. What are the chances that these girls are pregnant? It would help to know!

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I kept my doe with the buck I planned on breeding her with since he was 2 months old. He didn't get her pregnant until he was 5 months old. Not to say he didn't try the whole time (you know goats), but it didn't "take" until then.

3. tioga12

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If the does have come into heat and the buckling is able to reach, they can be pregnant....it is just a matter of being physically able to get to them.....young bucklings are generally interested all the time.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

At 6 months old, he can make babies if the does are cycling. My buck sired his first kids at 4 months of age.

6. tioga12

Does it really make a difference if it is hot outside...will the does cycle less then? If they would be pregnant, how soon would I know?
    This man that sold us the goats ends up having his born in late fall to early winter even though he doesn't prefer it that way. He just keeps a buck in with the does. The buck is a fair amt. smaller than my does-how much would that affect his effectiveness?