At what age do you Casterate?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ONThorsegirl, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I have never had goats but at the horse farm where I worked, they had 2 little kids born, I originally thought that they were nigerian dwarfs, but I just looked at a picture and I'm not to sure. now.

I have been raising sheep for 8 years, so I understand some of the basics. I was asked if I could some over and casterate the male. So I used the ring and did it the same way as my lambs. Everything went normal and I made sure I got both of the little testicles and I hope everything goes normal.

Is this the way everyone else normally casterates, with the elastics? and at what age do you normally casterate?

Melissa

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I band mine. I like to wait until they are 6 weeks old or so. As long as you can fit the testicles through the band, you will be OK.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

For management purposes, I band my lambs when I dock their tails, so it's in the first week. I don't band dairy boys for about 21-28 days. I band pygmy goats at about 6-8 weeks because it's simply easier to get ahold of them. You want to give the wether goats urethra's time to develop. It's not critical with wether lambs because they generally go for meat at 6 months. I don't raise meat goats so I can't say when they are castrated. My dairy boys go to working goat homes.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

all of my bucklings from my Meat herd got banded with in the first week at somepoint, as soon as their testicals drop i band them, and have had NO problems, they are miserable for a few hours then all is fine, its alot worse on them if you wait too long i think,

its basically the same principal as with Circumsizeing baby boys, the sooner you do it the better off they are pain wise. just my take on it and it works well.

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I do it about 8 weeks. I choose to give time for the development of the urethra.

6. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Ok thanks, I did this little guy at 4 weeks. I normally do my lambs at 10 days old.

Melissa

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read that it's important to vaccinate for tetanus before banding because the band can be a source of tetanus infection.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I band mine between 2-6 weeks old depending on weather and my schedule. Have never had any problems and I have banded many. Have also *never* seen tetnus and this is the first year my kids have gotten so much as a CD&T shot......so for me, thats not a big worry.

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I band at around seven weeks to make sure all is progressing well before kids go off to their new homes at 8-9 weeks. Although I've read no convincing scientific evidence about early castration as a factor in UC.

10. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Ditto EVERYTHING she said.