At what age can you wean a piglet?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by emke, Jun 6, 2005.

1. emke

emke Well-Known Member

6½ weeks ago we had two baby pigs. They have been able to get through the fence we have, to spend time with our cow. Today they discovered the garden. We tried to keep them out, but they came right back to it. They rooted up my onions. I think they were more interested in the loose dirt and the onions got in their way. We put them in a small pen. They have been eating grass, corn and any slop they can steal from the big pigs, for awhile now. Do you think it is too soon to take them away from their momma? Putting their momma in with them is out of the question, since she is our most "wild" pig. She never would let us scratch her. We let all of our hogs graze on 2½ acres, so trying to get her penned up would be a nightmare.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Usually 4 to 6 weeks depending on size and how well they're eating. If they're eating as you say you shouldn't have any problem.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

wean them now....they will be fine.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we wean at 3-4 weeks depending on size of litter, size of pigs, how mom is holding up, etc etc....max of 4 though. We put creep feed in at 1 week old.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I put creep feed in from day three and wean at about 4 weeks - if there are a couple of slower ones in the litter and the sow is holding her own, I'll leave them with her. All of which follows the other's posts so yes, if your piglets have found the vege garden, they are self sufficient and can be weaned. And do it quickly before your have no garden of any sort left. :waa:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Amen to that. They will tear it up and enjoy every minute of it..

7. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I've weaned at three weeks with no problem, but usually wait until the fourth week, waiting six weeks is too long.

8. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

They are plenty old enough to wean. Just watch them carefully to make sure they are eating and gaining weight.

You should have no problem with them.