At last, hubby agrees!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jen74145, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

:dance:
    Bring on the dairy gals, hubby has seen the light! Only took a year, lol.
    Just have to share my joy... not even settled on a breed yet, for heaven's sake.
    Though I would love Nubian, or maybe kinder... would love N. Dwarves, but there aren't many round here, and I think I'd rather not keep a buck...
    I am so happy! Another shed to build, more winter squash to grow. :dance:
    And good healthy milk for my cattery, woohoo!

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I bet you're excited! In my dealings with customers (in the nigie world anyway) I've witnessed so many husbands who initially "give in and put up with" their wives' new venture, only to end up being the ones to spoil their goaties rotten!

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

What breed of cats do you raise? I had always dreamed of having a cattery, but never got one off the ground. Instead, I wound up raising and showing goats. I mostly have Nubians. I do have 6 household pet cats. I had wanted to breed Persians, but the modern ones seem to have too many breathing problems. My friend raises Scottish Folds. Perhaps one day I'll buy a breeding pair from her. Good luck with your goat venture.

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Holy buckets, that was a thread title that got my attention; my hubby doesn't agree with much, just grumbles a lot, then goes out and scritches ears and talks silly to them behind my back. He did a lot less moaning and groaning once he tried goat meat. Now he just growls if there's not enough in the freezer and I sell a wether to a 4-Her. :cool:

5. jen74145

I lost my own thread, how embarassing! :stars:
    Thank you all: I am SO excited... but it seems every day I have more questions and dilemmas to ponder!

Oh, and I raise bengals...whole other story in itself, lol.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Good Luck on what type of goat you will decide to get. For my dairy goats that are my milking goats I have LaMancha's. I know one thing Nigerian Dwarfs are hard to find these days. Where I live no one has them. Most around my homeplace is dairy or meat goats. Not many small dwarfs at all. Which I think is sad.

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

There are alot of girls from tTexas on the dairygoatinfo.com forum. Go over I am sure anyone of them would invite you over to see the girls.

Patty

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yeah Patty but then she will have to get Nubians :)

Jen, if your not too far north, your welcome to visit, right now the barn is boring, justa bunch of very bred Nubian does singing. Come March you could see babies and milk goats! But do let me help you find your goats, whatever breed you do choose. Plus spring is a very good time to buy, lots of kids to choose from, milkers that udders didn't turn out like we wanted for showing, and bucklings galore. So fence, build barn and read read read. Vicki

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If you don't want to keep a buck, make sure there is one of the breed you want to keep in your area -- or choose the breed that has a buck (a good one) close to you, LOL!

Kathleen

10. dap

dap lilsparrow

That is wonderful!! Congrats and good luck on your breed selection! My getting goats was actually hubby's idea, which he venomously denies!!! :rolleyes:

11. jen74145

LOL, why are men so anti-goat at the beginning? :rolleyes:
    I think he's seeing the light.. though I think I may only be able to talk him into some perfectly reliable backyard milkers of indeterminate parentage. He doesn't see the point of registration papers and really nice stock... oh, but we shall see, we...shall...see...

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

He doesn't see the point of registration papers and really nice stock... oh, but we shall see, we...shall...see...

Oh my YES, you need to come down for a visit with that hubby in tow :) Vicki

13. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I think bengals are so cool and beauties - I really like the snows but all the colors are gorgeous.

14. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

Oh My gosh, I fell like there are SOOO many Nigerian breeders up here In New England. Of course I've noticed them in NH, VT, And MA the most but I know of good ones in ME as well. If you want to consider raising them what a wonderful contribution to your area it would be!! Most breeders are more than happy to transport and it is NOT expensive because they fit into a large dog crate when they are 18 months old!! Please let me know if you would liek the names and websites of a few.

Kerrin

PS Oh yes I forgot to mention I was hesitant to keep a buck at first too but the Nigies are so small it's not like managing a 300lb buck. You can also breed for disposition and some of them are so sweet. I went to visit a local breeder and was totally won over by their sweetness. personally, I didn't think the odor was all that bad. Of course some of this is how you take care of them too. At least in the smaller breeds.

15. kerrinatoz

Yeah ok that's exactly how we started out too. Except we started at the local animal shelter. Next thing you know my husband and I were talking of goat diseases, better milk production, and overall ability to determine the disposition of the goats. We did get a good "deal" on our does as a prewinter package deal. But now, we are purchasing awesome bucks and he isn't really flinching at all. Especially when you calculate that you start with better stock you can sell the kids for more money that will help you pay for start up costs. This will be especially true if you can corner the market in your area. It seems a webpage helps immensely with this! This last point was what REALLY won my husband over!!

Kerrin

16. kerrinatoz

Oh my gosh, You're in Texas!! There are alot of awesome Nigerian breeders in Texas!!

http://www.twincreeksfarm.com/
    http://www.lostvalleynigerians.com/
    http://www.hillcountryndgoats.com/

Hill Country has some really nice lines and I guess they are getting out of the business because they are selling off the rest of the herd. This would be a good opportunity to get some really great goats at a lower price.

Hope this helps!!

Kerrin

17. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Twincreeks is who I would go with. Those little things of hers are at every show, and quite regularly beat out our Nubians for BIS :) Plus she is just the most pleasant person to be around! Vicki

18. jen74145

Oh wow!
    I'd found quite a handful, but I hadn't found those three! Thank you!

The ones I'd found so far, I might've liked what I saw, but when I send a short, sweet email asking about does, and get a bunch of sales pitches for wethers and bucks... sigh. Frustrating.

19. kerrinatoz

Yes and in the interest of complete disclosure, I actually have requests for bucklings based on the Twincreeks Braveheart line (yes those awesome TX lines made it all the way up here to NE) Of course our lins are nothing to sneeze at either (LOL)

Kerrin

20. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Yay!
    Congrats on getting goats!
    Come on over to the Hill Country and see us! LOL
    We've got Nubian and LaMancha kids@@!!!#%$@
    :help:

[​IMG]