Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Yeah, we saw that on TV yesterday. It was on the News on several different Networks. It sounds like a Problem the really ought to be addressed.
Little League Kids and Middle School and High School kids are exposed to it daily in their Football practice, any place they have that Artificial Turf
It is Really a Problem!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Interesting.
And just because they say research shows little to no risk doesn't mean it's not there. They just haven't found it yet.
We aren't as advanced ad we think we are...

None of the fields my kids play on are astroturf (or whatever it's called) but I've wondered about the chemicals and fertilizer they put out..

Reactions: gibbsgirl

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
They researched tires for safety according to the use of a tire. Not if it was safe to be rolling around on them for hours several times a week and far as I know, no research has been done as far as inhalation or ingestion of tire pellets.

I worry about my nieces. I don't know if the fields they play on have this stuff.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Needs to be SCIENTIFICALLY researched before we get our nickers in a knot. Right now all you have is anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Needs to be SCIENTIFICALLY researched before we get our nickers in a knot. Right now all you have is anecdotal evidence.
I agree scientific testing is good and needed on this and many other things. however, I have a very skeptical feeling about the reliability of scientific testing.

first, I question the frequent citing of a lack of scientific evidence being presented as proof of a conclusion. very often "no proof" means no studies, not many studies by many different sources citing results that indicate it has been ruled out.

second, the funding for many scientific studies leaves a lot to be desired as far as removing the conflicts of interest.

third, the fact that many corporations are free to sponsor testing, but only submit the results for public review of the ones they choose to is very frustrating. I've read more than once how something was tested over and over until they got the required 2 results and were eligible to receive the govt stamp of approval. And, they were only required to submit the 2 successes for peer review.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts