Astillbe ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Lynne, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I'm planning a new flower bed and plan to include a large planting of astillbe. Now, I have 3 plants on the east side of my house that have never gotten taller than one and a half foot in the past 15 years. I'm pretty sure that I bought these roots from Brecks, mine are the same 3 colors that they are selling as a group currantly. However the description Brecks has states that they grow three feet tall. The soil mine are in is rich and drains well so could this be the reason for the difference? Are there different varieties? The new bed will be on the south side, will this affect the height? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Lynn

2. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I ordered from Brecks - mine a growing, but not as big as I thought? Mine are on the northern side.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I have three astilbe's, two are a dark evergreen color and one is a lighter green (like lawn green), both about 2 ft tall right now. I bought them last summer. Sorry I can't tell you what variety they are, but they are growing a lot right now, and imagine they will hit 3 ft tall when we actually get some sun shining, lol.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Astilbe come in several different types (and many varieties within those types) and not all grow the same. Some are short, some are tall, and the flower spikes are different, too.

Also, astilbe don't generally like the hot afternoon sun, and around here, would quickly fry in a southern exposure without shade.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have a 2 year old pink Astilbe that is 2+ feet high, about 3 ft wide, and on the south western side against the house. It's in a herb bed, so it gets babied with compost, fertilizer, etc. We only get 3 months of good weather here, and it looks happy. So many flower buds I'll bet more than 10. It had 4 last year. I think it is 6 inches taller this year.....and it hasn't bloomed yet. I guess Maine is the place for it.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I just counted 13. This plant is the one good thing in my garden...