Assistance requested

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uyk7, Dec 15, 2006.

1. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

I have added an area to HomesteadHunter.com that I hope will help. I am listing real estate companies for each state (as I get information on them). Right now I have a few companies listed for South Dakota and Florida. I am hoping that some of you will help by sending me information on local real estate companies in your area that I can place on the website. As you know, the “big name” real estate companies normally do not list “cheap” property such as fixer-uppers or low-cost property that many local realtors carry. With your help, HomesteadHunter.com can be the one place to find realtors.

I am also interested in hearing your suggestions on what you would like to see on a “one stop” website when it comes to the homesteading lifestyle. Maybe a page with articles from individuals living the homesteading lifestyle? A “how-to” page? Anything else that you might be interested in?

Thanks for the help!

Stuart.Lynch@homesteadhunter.com or
    Rita.Lynch@homesteadhunter.com

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We have dealt with many Realtors, in different states.

Few our our dealings were really satisfactory, and when we finally came to the point where we were looking for our homestead, I did try the local Realtors. I tried with them for two years, but everything they listed was too expensive.

When I finally broke down and began calling the telephone numbers listed on hand written signs, I found an entire different world of land transactions going on, at half the price.

The MLS shows nothing in my area for even twice what I paid. Yet today I know of a dozen properties for sale, for far less than anything the Realtors would ever list.

Around here nobody wants to give a percentage to a realtor. And nobody wants to deal with Realtors trying to bump the price, to gain a larger commission.

At my last land purchase, I did the closing via a lawyer and it cost me a flat fee of $200. No escrow, no escrow account, no points.

I paid under $1,000 per acre for riverfrontage forest land, some is below the flood stage, most is above the flood line.

Realtors around here would insist that no such deals exist. Whereas I see them every week.

:)

3. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon a For Sale By Owner ad in a "nickle ads" kind of paper. It was my lucky day! I got a great deal on a place that had been used as a rental for years and the seller was VERY motivated! Every time I talked to him, he came down $1,000 in price (up to $6,000). He worked with me on the down payment, was flexible on the interest rate (he's carrying the contract) and the monthly payment. We went through a title company and then assigned the contract to a bank for "contract collection." It costs me $5.00 per month on top of my payment for the bank to collect the payment and do all the accounting for tax purposes. And, of course, no real estate commission which had to be covered in the down payment.

A couple of days after closing, I got a call from the county tax assessor wondering why I had gotten the place for so much less than the tax assessed value!

I was lucky. I can't promise anyone else will fall into the same kind of deal, and, to be honest, the place is a "diamond in the rough." Lucky I was in a kind of desperate situation and I wasn't as picky as some might be. It was abused pretty hard by all the renters, but mostly cosmetic kind of stuff (apparently none of the renters believed in garbage service!). I'm making a "to-do" list for when my income tax refund comes!

(I had been working with a real estate agent prior to finding this place, and was disappointed. Although I thought she was supposed to be "working" for me, I think there was a little shady stuff going on......the first place I put an offer in on got pulled out from under me by a buyer with, supposedly, a better offer. The other agent happened to be my agent's mother. The next place I put an offer in on, I don't think the seller even saw it. I think my offer was used to "push" someone who had been "sitting on the fence" about whether or not they actually wanted the place. Oh, well.)

4. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I am happy for you.

That is exactly what happens though.

Folks who want to sale but maybe have listed with Realtors, and can't stand the way Realtors keep bumping up the price and chasing away buyers. Too much playing the game to get prices higher.

Those 'trader' magazines are great!

As are signs posted out in a field, with a phone number.

:)