assembling new frames

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by billygoatridge, Dec 11, 2004.

1. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

I am a beeginner wanting to start a hive next spring. Can I buy frames and foundation now to assemble now as a winter project or should I wait until closer to getting the bees? I didn't know if wax moths would hatch in new foundation if they were assembled and stored this far ahead.

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been working on frames for the last month off and on. Now is a good time to get your frames but most places won't ship the foundation when it is cold. We got ours early but won't put it in until almost time to use it as we have to store our hives out in the garage so the wax sits in our warm living room. It depends on what type foundation you are using as we wire ours so more time consuming....but with a good movie who cares? It's too chilly out to work out anyhow. DEE

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Working on woodware now is a good idea. As stated working with wax now is a bad idea as it becomes brittle and cracks. Usually wax moths aren't a problem with undrawn foundation.
    When assembling frames be sure to nail the top bar from the top and then nail the side bars to the top bars from the sides also. If you don't nail sideways when the frames become glued in the hive body you will pull the top bar off of the frame trying to remove the frame.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Start early and make a few extra supers and deeps (than you think you will need). I've been puttering at putting together frames and boxes but next week I'll be doing the work I hate.....cleaning and repairing existing woodenware. Stuff waxworms got into, broken or damaged boxes, inner covers, outer covers, etc.

Mike

5. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

I've been working on making shallow supers. I have some old fence boards that are just the right depth (well most of them anyway) and I am making shallow supers with mitered joints. This way they turn out square. I've been making the frame rests by clamping the end boards to a table and going back and forth with a circular saw (not as slow as it sounds... the teeth of the blade sticks out farther than the rest, so i can run the blade back and forth along the cut edge and it will keep on cutting the edge back. I've been cutting in handles on the long sides using the same idea. So far i have done all the cutting for twenty boxes and put together 16 of them in two half-days. When I finish the twenty, I will be buying 200 frames, cutting the top-bar to make a ridge along its bottom, and making foundationless frames... or perhaps in might be better to buy grooved top-bars and put in starter strips.

justgojumpit