Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered cages, and they are coming unassembled. I am getting a pair of "J-clip plyers" to aid in their construction. How long will it take to assemble a cage?

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
It doesn't take very long at all. Depends on how many j-clips you put on. LOL Also, be sure you put the floor wire on with the right side facing up into the cage or you'll have bunnies with sore feet. There were a few cages that I've put together and just wasn't paying attention and put it with the wider spaced wires facing up and had to take it off and start over and I always use more j-clips for the floor wire since that's where all the weight is.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much. You all sound like pros. From the cost of the cages and accessories I think if there is a profit to be made from rabbits it's in their cages.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent the evening cleaning and reorganizing in the basement where I plan to set the first cage. Coming back to the computer to check out details and relax, I noticed a multi-level cage setup that I want now too for the growing little ones. The price tage is just under $200. I'm convinced if there is a profit to be made with rabbits it is in the making and selling of cages. If I become a good repeat customer I wonder if they would deliver and assemble free of charge?

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Silly girl about that delivery stuff!!

I bought a whack of cages this spring. I don't remember the exact measurements, but there are 13 holes total. My hands ached for days when I was done!!

The key thing is to make sure you put the pieces together right - so that the door opens out, and not to the inside of the cage!!!!! :buds:

When I put them together I start with the piece with the door. I attach the two side pieces, then the back. Then I do the bottom, then the top. If you have purchased any with dividers in, I insert those after the floor, before the top.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Bernadette, a local pro! And you sound like you know your stuff.

I've ordered four large cages and a doe from southern breeder. She knows you. I've purchased a blue nzw doe from her. Heidi is coming with a two week old litter. My calis are quite content and doing well, though living in freedom. I'm hoping to bring Fruity inside. Pickle is with Jim's wayward male cabot. They've taken up residence in the old chicken coop.

Next christmas I shall order these cages: http://www.sunnymeadowscages.com/mlrabbit.html

Rabbits and accessories are addictive. Where did you get your cages? Where you drinking when you placed the doors on? Hehehehe

How are your ducks and little collie? Ours took after the migrating ones. They came back one day totally exhausted from running after the migrating birds. Then another few days they disappeared for good.

I gave a gentleman looking for feeder rabbits your phone number. Hope this was okay. Thinking if you had a little one dead on arrival or something you could sell it to him.

Teenagers are odd things. Mine are arguing over the Blue doe's litter. They both want the one white kit. I think the breeder will refuse to sell the doe to me if I ask her to make sure there are two white kits. I myself want the blue and two black.

I'm worrying about a hundred things. What if the litter is all does? What if they are all bucks? What if my children want to take over my hobby?

So nice to see you online. I've yet to meet Jill but have spoke with her on the phone. I'm loving the rabbits. Think they are the perfect pet. Undemanding and quite! Plue their droppings are useful.

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
Have you also looked at Klubertanz? They usually have really good prices. You'll get even better prices on your cages if you just buy the rolls of wire and cut and make your own cages, but it does tend to be labor intensive.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6e thanks for the tip. I'm in Canada and too cheap to pay for shipping from another city in the same province, so am driving down to pick up the cages. Though it was good to see that they sell "Vanodine" a disinfectant that I have been reading much good things about. Waiting to hear more people's experiences with it. The product almost sounds too good to be true in my opinion.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
6e, I don't think Klubertanz is really an option for us here in Northern Ontario, Canada. Shipping would just absolutely kill us, let alone customs, and getting them across the border. Sure are nice cages though.

Skip, I got my cages at Grandview, but have since found Wendy at Sunnymeadows, and when I buy my next batch that's probably where they'll come from.

The ducks went to freezer camp, but I have some adult Silver Appleyards coming in June next year, and I shall hatch my own after that.

Nightmare Nelly is just a joy - an absolutely normal Border Collie :lookout:. Where's the "she's driving me crazy" smiley??? We love her to death! (She's whapping me with her rubber chicken as I type...)

Remind your kids that there will most likely be another white one in the next litter that she has, that will be born right at your place, they'll be able to spoil it right from day one, etc. etc. - or perhaps that whoever gets this white kit then the other kid gets first pick out of the next batch? Or simply ask Kat if she'll sell you another white kit the same age that you can foster in to the litter just to keep the 'kids' quiet?

Just quit calling rabbits an addiction. I don't have an addiction. Not me. No way. Has anyone re-written the twelve step program to fit rabbitosis?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Or simply ask Kat if she'll sell you another white kit the same age that you can foster in to the litter just to keep the 'kids' quiet?
Sorry, that's the only white kit in the correct age group, and it's already fostered in :baby04: I've fostered 3 kits from 2 unrelated litters for Skip, so that she will have unrelated rabbits when this litter grows up. I know how hard it is for you all up in the ARCTIC to get rabbits :D

And yes, there will DEFINITELY be more whites born!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Grandview's cages are very nice and reasonably priced. I haven't seen Wendy's cages, but I do have a couple of her Lionheads in my barn! :clap: She's a very nice person to deal with - as is Brian at Grandview!

You're looking for white kits? I've got several here - about 8-9 weeks old. If you really, really want one, I'm not that far from Kat. ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First things first, Bernie Jill and I are not in the arctic. We are in the nearnorth. I won't brag about the virtues of our area since the shopping sucks, and hence my road trip south.

MoonKitten is a sweetie for putting up with my questions. Two more: So what colours will be in the litter when I pick them up? Is a late Saturday morning pickup possible as the weather forecast here has changed?

I will need to check with Wendy at Sunnymeadows too if this is possible for the cages. She is as patient as MoonKitten. I chose Sunnymeadows because it is along the way to MoonKitten's, "Down the Rabbit Hole." And it was easy to go through her website and say I want this and this and that. Almost too easy.

MoonKitten's website is the same. I want her other doe Justine too, but my son who is 13 is telling me start slow.

Pookshollow where are you at? I have two teenagers drinking lactaid free milk, at $5.20 for two litres. I'm tempted to try them on goats milk. I want two nigerian does with dark brown eyes and the same colouring as this fellow:
http://www.homegrownpygmies.net/Poppy_op_529x600.jpg

No, I am not looking for white kits, the children were arguing over the one white kit in the litter, though my daughter conceded that she is willing to wait until they can be sexed. Her last pet rabbit, April, turned out to be a boy. He was territorial and would hump everything, we kept him in a steady supply of balloons for this. His saving grace was that he didn't spray. Yet I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be at least one buck in Heidi's litter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
First things first, Bernie Jill and I are not in the arctic.
Sorry, I was making a joke, but I guess it didn't come across. :eek: I do know that you ladies aren't in the Arctic.

So what colours will be in the litter when I pick them up? Is a late Saturday morning pickup possible as the weather forecast here has changed?
Right now, there are 2 black kits (Heidi's), 1 blue, 1 white (Polly's) and 1 red (Crimson's).

I have another delivery to make Saturday at noon, so if we can plan around that, it's not a problem. Email me directly or phone and we can work things out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PS I'm the one that did not come out funny. I'm no good at telling jokes, always ruining the punchline. I knew you were joking.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I bought my first cages from Grandview and then bought wire from him and am making my own. Brian is definately a pleasure to deal with. I buy the poo pans off Grandview and build my cages around them but add a few things of my own like a shelf and built-in nestbox area. I build them from the inside out, floor, shelf and divider wall first, then the front, back, sides and roof. It takes me a good part of a day to cut and clip everything and make doors but I have the time right now. Unfortunately I have now reached my garage capacity so that will be all the building until spring unless I move to a bigger property.

I just had my first white kits born :bouncy: that I have been waiting for since I lost my white doe during the summer. Now I have blue, black, white, red and steel so crossing these combinations should prove very interesting in the next few months.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pictures of your set up and rabbits would be nice Truckinguy. What is steel colour? Are you selling any of your offspring?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts