Assembling an inspection camera.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm going to assemble an inspection camera system (Primarily to inspect chimneys) which is basically a small camera on the end of a long flexible shaft that feeds a TV or VCR on the viewing end. I have the camera and cable and I plan to fish it down a 100 foot 3/4 inch flexible PVC conduit. Should I try to incorporate another function into this beast like a magnetic pick up or??? I will be water proof but not exactly residential sewer sized. I was thinking a small 1/4 inch tube I could blast compressed air through would be useful. Be nice if I could flex the end left, right, up, and down but I have no idea how to do this. Anyone ever use something similar?

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

sounds like fun, i could see all kinds of attachments,,,,but maybe just try it like it is..

do they still make those inflatable bulbs, the kind that you snake on the end of a water hose. when you turn the water on, it inflates and seals against the pipe. pressurises infront of the bulb and is used to move a clog.

i could see air or water to flush the lense. maybe a few IR diodes to light the way.

3. mikellmikell

mikellmikell Well-Known Member

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Thanks Mike that would have done with some minor modifications (too many things to snag inside a chimney) Oh well I alread have 90% of the components. The little camera has IR built in and it works very well. I'll post pictures once I get going but I only want to fish through 100 feet of conduit once.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

would those stand up in a corosive enviroment? wife needs somthing like this to inspect man holes for san sewers and tanks round the plant. 12 volt would be perfect for their trucks!