Asparagus

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DLD, Mar 20, 2005.

1. DLD

DLD Member

Hello...mainly been a lurker here learning tons of info!!!..Will be moving to a farm the end of April and want to establish a new bed of asparaugus...have some that was planted years ago but is now being shaded out by evergreen trees...have decided to not transplant those until another bed is established as we do get a small harvest from those plants. My question...I have never ordered anything from seed catalogs as I have very little gardening exsperience...is it worth the extra money to get the 3 year roots or best to just save the extra dollars and get the one year ones??...do you really get a faster harvest from the older roots or is it basically the same the first year while the roots establish themselves?...thanks for any advise...Debbie

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

First off, don't buy asparagus from a seed catalog. They're a rip off. Buy directly from the grower and save about 2/3 the cost. I can vouch for one grower, www.jerseyasparagus.com -- have bought over 5000 crowns from them over the years. Better hurry, tho, they're almost sold out for this year. Get the Jersey hybrid, much more prolific than the old Washington varieties. Get the one year crowns.

You can also gradually move your existing asparagus to a new bed by uncovering the crowns and with a large knife cut 50 cent size chunks of the crown out, making sure you have a portion of the crown that produces the stalks (little buds on them) as well as at least some of the roots, which can be only a few inches long. You can get from 5-10 cuttings off a single established crown this way and still leave some of the original crown. Now's the time to do it, before they start to grow. Keep the cuttings moist til you plant them. I would say you could harvest these established cuttings the following year for a limited time since they will come up as a normal size asparagus stalk instead of small ferns. Put bone meal around the roots to encourage root growth.

3. DLD

DLD Member

Thank you so much for the advise...Debbie

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

the link didn't work for me....?

Kaza

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Great info! Just placed my order and you can even put in the date for shipping! Super!

Where can I buy bone meal - is it something I can find at my local home improvement store???

Thanks for the wealth of info here! ;)

6. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Wonderful! I've got a "wild" patch of asparagus that I want to move to my established bed -- just the information I have been looking for. THANKS!

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

PS , another idea, salt the ground around the asperagas so otherweeds dont choke it out, and asp. loves high salt ground ... really !

8. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

What if you don't want 1K crowns...where can you get them at a reasonable price but smaller quantities. Also, does anyone sell 2 or 3 year old crowns???

9. Bruce in NE

What if you don't want 1K crowns...where can you get them at a reasonable price but smaller quantities. Also, does anyone sell 2 or 3 year old crowns???"

You can buy small quantities of crowns from jersey asparagus farm. Email them on 2-3 year old crowns. They respond pretty fast.

About salting asparagus, I've never done it, but I would be wary of downgrading the soil just to control weeds. There's a corn based weed killer on the market now, altho quite pricey. Mulch would be a better & cheaper alternative. Asparagus can tolerate a deep mulch.

10. Bruce in NE

Where can I buy bone meal - is it something I can find at my local home improvement store???

You can get bone meal at most any garden center. My local Alco even has it.