asparagus

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by susanne, May 19, 2006.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would like to plant some asparagus and wondering how many plants i would need per person? i'm aware that the first three years i will get only a tiny little bit but don't want to drown in asparagus later.

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Depends on how much of it you eat. I've got a half acre and it's a bit too much for one person (I also sell it). I would think if you freeze it a minimum would be 100 plants per person.

3. celina

celina Well-Known Member

i vote for drowning in asparagus....loooooooooooooove it.....

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Depends on where you live, actually. Where I was in NW CO, if you didn't hide it behind a privacy fence people would come right on your property and make off with it. Regular fencing and no trespass signs didn't faze them!

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

The books call for about 15ft of row per person. So I guess you could go from there according to your taste.

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

thanks guys and gals. i live in an secluded area and i doubt anybody will steal it. how many plants go in 15 feet? although im living in the states since a couple of years i still have difficulties in converting to this kind of measuring. metric is much easier for me. how many spears do you get from one plant?