asparagus question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by greenacres, May 10, 2005.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I think I have an asparagus bed in the backyard. It looks like asparagus, but it isn't very big around. If it isn't picked, it gets about a foot or taller and "heads" out with a leafy type stalk. Is this asparagus? If not, what is it? How do I get it to be bigger? Thanks.

2. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

not to be a smartypants, but does it taste like asparagus?
    if it is asparagus...
    it is a system of roots that sends up shoots every spring. Those shoots turn to light airy plants which gather energy all summer, storing it in the roots and then die in the fall. when the shoots are young, they're tender and edible and as they get older, they get tough. in the spring, you can snap off and eat the shoots. Eventually, however, the roots begin to weaken, what with you eating all their hard work. If you continue to eat every shoot, you will be able to kill the plant. You can continue to harvest the shoots until new ones start to get thinner. that's the sign that you need to leave the plant alone. The summer growth will add energy and size and strength to the roots so you can repeat the process the next year.
    If you want to help the plant along, mulch the area as heavily as you want..maybe 6" to 12" of mulch. It'll keep the soil cool and moist and provide the roots with nutrients and discourage other weeds from competing for the water and the nutrients.
    That's basically it. Asparagus is easy. Actually, it's pretty hard to kill. and it makes my pee smell funny. tee hee hee.

ray

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Look like this? Sorry the picture is so big. I borrowed it from an online site.

[​IMG]

4. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what it looks like. Just not that thick. It is kinda sporadic. It has been mowed over a number of times. OOPS!! It just isn't as big around as I would think it would be, but what do I know. It is about the size of a pencil. I thought asparagus was bigger around than that. Thanks again.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

If it's neglected and mowed over, pencil size is about all it's going to get. Just like any other plant, it needs to be fertilized, mulched, watered etc. to thrive.