Asparagus Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cindy in NY, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year I planted asparagus roots in one of our raised beds and let it go to seed with the intention that I would be able to eat it this year. We need to add compost to the bed and will be adding another level of boards to make the bed an additional 3" taller. Do I need to dig the roots up and replant them at the correct starting depth or will they just grow through the additional height? If I do dig them up will I have to wait until next year to eat the stalks?

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, you are supposed to add soil as it grows. But hold out for some good advice from those who grow it regularly. Darn gophers always get everything just before harvest. Maybe I should start eating them!!!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Believe it or not. It doesn't matter that much. The crowns will MOVE to their optimum depth! So just add your compost and don't worry about it.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

And----yes, if they are at least as big around as a pencil---you can eat them.
    Around here, (zone 4) the rule of thumb is---------you can harvest until the 4th of July------and then the plant needs the rest of the summer to replenish itself.

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the info! Just putting in new compost will be much easier. I had dill in this bed as well. Not sure if the old seed will be too deep to come up this year.

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so fast to eat the asparagus big time this year if you have only 2 year old roots. The rule of thumb is if the ferns got to at least 4 ft. last summer you can eat them for a limited time this year, but not 2 months -- more llike a couple weeks or so.

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Might as well add my question to this thread. I'm planting a patch tomorrow with two year old roots in an old square foot bed. Since it has a trellis and I imagine it will take a while for the asparagus roots to establish themselves, do ya think I can plant some peas to grow up the trellis to conserve space? In otherwords, I'd be planting peas right over or very near the the asparagus.