Asparagus plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bob in WI, May 5, 2004.

1. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how long it takes for new plants to come up?

I planted them almost two weeks ago and they have done nothing as of yet. It has been a long time since I planted asparagus plants . (20 years). We moved and wanted some new plants.

I got them from Guerneys and followed the instructions .

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Give them awhile to settle in! Also, the ground is cold yet. This first year,and next year too, they'll need time to grow.

Now....quit staring at the asparagus patch! ;)

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I was wondering the same thing! I planted mine a couple weeks ago, and have seen exactly one shoot. I got mine from agway and followed the directions that I had in "Grow The Best Asparagus"

And I cant help it, I keep staring at the patch myself :haha:

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Are you giving them plenty of water? New asparagus needs lots. I think you have been colder than we have. We planted ours a little over two weeks ago and have little things coming up on some, but some is just sitting there. Patience is a virtue that I have not much of :haha:

5. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i planted asparagus about 3 weeks ago. I planted about 20 roots. after 2 weeks about 10 little thin shoots came up. Every day i go check them and put a cut out can over where it is. this morning i went out and found 2 more. So keep the faith, they will start popping up. i did
    not plant mine as deep as recomended, so if you planted deep than they will still make it. It will just take a little longer. they are tiny little thing, about as big a piece of spagetti

randy