Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought rhubarb and asparagus from lowes several weeks ago, but the package say wait until after all danger of frost has passed? do i need to wait? should i pot them up or just go ahead and plant them?

randy?

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
I'd wrap them in damp newspapers and refrigerate them :)

·
Super Moderator
16,527 Posts
Kansas, at least, is all done with hard freezes. I planted potatos already, as any light freezes will leave the spuds safe and warm under the earth.

I would think your asparagus will be fine if you plant them now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can put them in a 5 gallon pot with sandy soil in it, slightly damp, or the newspaper would work, too. I've just used the bucket. You don't want them soggy, just damp.

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Dunno why you'd need to wait til after danger of frost.... my rhubarb is coming up already (zone 5)! I'd plant it and mulch it well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Both are light frost hardy upon planting, then as they mature they survive the hardest winters (i.e., they're perennials).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county has it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area.

The following two images are excerpts from the Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf complete with spring and fall planting dates, how much to plant per person, etc. Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section (usually blue pages) of your phone book under "Extension". They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area from data they've collected from growing those crops in your state.

Violet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts