asparagus and rhubarb

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Mar 24, 2004.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i bought rhubarb and asparagus from lowes several weeks ago, but the package say wait until after all danger of frost has passed? do i need to wait? should i pot them up or just go ahead and plant them?

randy?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I'd wrap them in damp newspapers and refrigerate them :)

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Kansas, at least, is all done with hard freezes. I planted potatos already, as any light freezes will leave the spuds safe and warm under the earth.

I would think your asparagus will be fine if you plant them now.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

You can put them in a 5 gallon pot with sandy soil in it, slightly damp, or the newspaper would work, too. I've just used the bucket. You don't want them soggy, just damp.

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Dunno why you'd need to wait til after danger of frost.... my rhubarb is coming up already (zone 5)! I'd plant it and mulch it well.

6. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

Both are light frost hardy upon planting, then as they mature they survive the hardest winters (i.e., they're perennials).

7. violets

violets Member

Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county has it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area.

The following two images are excerpts from the Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf complete with spring and fall planting dates, how much to plant per person, etc. Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section (usually blue pages) of your phone book under "Extension". They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area from data they've collected from growing those crops in your state.

Violet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]