aspagagus question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by steff bugielski, May 15, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have about 10 asparagus crowns that I planted 4-5 yrs ago. They are doing great. My problem is how far spreading does one crown get. I planned to leave the first spear to grow but I now am wondering if this is all the same crown in about a 3ft area. Or do they multiply by sending new plants. How many new spears do I leave.
    steff

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"I have about 10 asparagus crowns that I planted 4-5 yrs ago. They are doing great. My problem is how far spreading does one crown get. I planned to leave the first spear to grow but I now am wondering if this is all the same crown in about a 3ft area. Or do they multiply by sending new plants. How many new spears do I leave.
    steff"

Asparagus doesn't really spread in the sense that some plants regenerate by runners or roots, etc. The original crown can get quite large -- maybe the size of a softball -- and send out spears that are maybe a foot away from the crown. But I doubt that a spear can be 3 ft. from its crown.

Normally, if the asparagus is 4-5 years old, you can harvest it all for 6-8 weeks, then quit and let it all grow out and fertilize in the late fall or early spring.