Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a few ducks eggs pipping... one has made a small square and hasn't done anything else for several hours, another has been wobbling it's egg around and was tapping, but has since stopped the tapping. No actual pipping in the wobbling egg yet.

When should i help them, and how/where should I do it?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
water fowl eggs, can take awhile. If I hear tapping and quacking in the egg, i expect 24 hours to pass before seeing the tell tale sign of a cracked "X" on the outside of the shell. Sometimes it might take another 24 hours before the duckling will fully crack himself all the way out, from this point. Try not to move them, or you could disorentate the duck and that can cause problems. If you must move the egg, do so slowly and don't turn it, place it back down when finished on the same side as you picked it up in. You want to try to avoid helping the duckling too soon, as this is the time that they are gaining strength and absorbing their yolk into their body. Sometimes you must help and if you do, do it slowly and only crack were you have seen them crack, around in a circle. I personally don't help anymore, as those who can't make it out of the shell are usually weak anyway. This is , of course, just my opinion...but I have succesfully incubated many times before. Maybe others can help more. Don't worry, it sounds as if you will have ducks very soon. Hope this helps, good luck!

Ps what kind of duck?? What day are you on, as far as incubation?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Newly hatching ducks have what is known as an egg tooth, a single spiked tooth on the upper portion of the bill, which does go away very soon after they clear the shell, leave them alone until they clear the shell by themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts