Asian beetles.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dlangland, Oct 14, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

The kind that look like lady bugs but they are not red, more like tan, and just a bit more plump, that they supposedly introduced in Iowa to help with the soybeans. They don't bother me except the last week or so they line the entire outside of the house and doors, and of course, try to get inside for the winter. Everyone I have talked to directs me to a certain chemical spray. I will not use any chemicals on my property. So, if they all come to my house to overwinter this season, will they go just go back out to the bean fields next season? It seems to me if they are beneficial insects, even if I believed in chemicals, I should not be killing them. Then to make matters worse, I mentioned to someone that they bite and sting when they land on me. They said, no, they don't sting...that just means they are going to the bathroom on you...I don't want to say it out loud...Is that a true thing? I am thinking maybe they were just teasing me since I am new here. I was going to try to look it up, but I honestly don't what the technical name for this insect is. Deb

2. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

It's the multi colored Asian lady beetle. ( they come in different colors) Read about them here: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

Towards the bottom of the page there is a link to a .pdf file that instructs how to make a trap. Catch and release I believe, I'm going to check it out myself.

I'm not sure about them not biting but "going to the bathroom on you". I think they're biting to see if you're edible.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you. I am really not interested in trapping them. I only moved to Iowa this summer, and we did not have these in South Dakota. It's just that everyone I know and have talked to is so dead-set on killing them, and like I said I refuse to use chemicals. Even though I always do market gardening. I don't see any harm in just letting them be, or maybe I am dreaming. My friends and neighbors say that once the farmers harvest the bean fields as they are around me, they don't have any place left to hide, that's why we are seeing them. I just squish them if they come in the house and be careful going in and out both doors. Today when I went to town, though, they were in my truck. My fault for not closing the windows. So, if I just let them be, they will go away? hopefully next year. I will read your stuff. Thank you very much. Deb PS. I did just look. No these are not that color, but I saw that word "Mustard". That would be more like it. But these are supposedly beneficial for the soybeans.

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Hi, they come in many colors! From the website: "Multicolored Asian lady beetle (Harmonia axyridis)—This insect has a wider range of colors and spot numbers than other lady beetle species. Wings range from black to mustard; spots number zero to many. The most common U.S. form is mustard to red with 16 or more black spots." I saw one once in solid black.

Are you from west river? They've been in eastern SD since the late 90's. I can see why they wouldn't be out there, no soybean aphids!

They will be hanging around all winter, and dying all over the place. My husband prefers to vacuum them up with the shop vac and dump them away from the house. Last year we had HUGE patches of them in our basement, old farm house you know. I don't know about following the instructions from the website, but I've been thinking about putting together a trap for them. I like their idea of a plastic bag at the bottom to catch the beetles.

When it gets cold enough outside they'll stop moving in.

In the spring, it does seem like the survivors make their way to the windows, and doors to seek an exit. Me, I like to scoop them up and dump them in leaves away from the house. You're like me, I don't really want to kill them either.