Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years ago I had an enormous amount of spontaneity ---- things were done by the seat of my pants.... I traveled day to day, week by week with goals in my head but nothing set in stone... My days were spent doing things that I WANTED to do - but were never set in stone if a better offer came up.....

Fast forward to now.... and my reunion with my dear sister in law.... She is still very spontaneous - drops plans and changes them in mid stream.... To me, it appears a bit flighty - (not that I love her any less, mind you)

I was just wondering if I looked FLIGHTY to those who were older when I was being "spontaneous"????

I just can't walk away from our plans at any point... we have a schedule and I need to keep that schedule so I don't spend a week trying to catch up from missing a day or two..... I plan everything we do, I keep a daily schedule for the kids....

I don't remember when I lost that spontaneity --- perhaps when I started homeschooling... or perhaps, when I got divorced and became a single parent.... or maybe when I got remarried and got my priorities finally straight-- or maybe its just because I grew older in the last ten years.....

What do you think? Are you spontaneous? Tell me about it.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to be a lot more spontaneous than I am now. I contribute it to that fact that I have NO credit cards and not much discretionary funds. lol Actually, I think I've changed. I wasn't happy unless I was going "Mach 2 with my hair on fire". I pushed myself to learn new and dangerous things constantly. Then the big M (menopause) hit. Now I'm content to curl up with a good book and bask in the sunlight. I do dream of riding a motorcycle again, of going snowmobiling again, of feeling that rush of adreneline. In a few years I'll be an empty nester. Maybe I'll find my wild side again! In the meantime good books and sunshine sound purrfectly acceptable.

Suzi

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had two kids 10 years ago..... now I have four (one with a major medical condition that wasn't diagnosed until 6 years ago)

I think thats most of it.... and I think it has to do with the frugality that I learned and now practice and live..... I NEVER had $$ to spend but I also never thought about the cost of gas, time and energy.... I did things 10 years ago that I would never consider doing now simply because of the frugal streak in me....

My DS19 has been commenting about my LACK of spontaneity since meeting his aunt again... He sees a "younger me" in her and wishes I could return to those days.... THINKS WE'D HAVE MORE FUN together if I was like her.... (I keep reminding him that I am his parent not his FRIEND.... and if I was doing all those things he thinks are fun, we'd both be in a world of hurt)

I remember looking at my parents 20 years ago and saying that I would never get so stuck in a routine that I couldn't do what I wanted, when I wanted.....

and yet, now, years later I realize I can always do what I want, when I want......

AS LONG AS I WRITE IT ON THE SCHEDULE!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
There's nothing like finding a middle ground, to me. My DH's a person of routines. Me, well I've gotten that way more as I get older. But give me the carefree life any time. I actually like having a schedule--although I never quite stick to it exactly.

·
gracie88
913 Posts
I'm easily sidetracked, is that the same thing? :D Actually, I was more spontaneous when I had more free time.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I was about to say that I'm not really spontaneous at all anymore, but upon further thought I realize that I never really was. Adventurous, yes - always willing to try/learn something new, and I hope I'll never feel too old for that. But on the spur of the moment? Not so much. I like to take my time deciding what nutty thing to do next. :cool:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Oggie said:
I'll have to think about it for a while.
ROFL Oggie cracks me up.

Yea, I think having this many kids you kind of have to be planning and organized. I mean cause I am severely outnumbered here, LOL Any chance of chaos and they see it as a sign of weakness and might form a mutiny. I just think that when I am older me and Dh will be more carefree. Right now, its about 'them', you know? :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I'm still pretty flighty....er, spontaneous. :) Meaning that I can have an idea and act on it without thinking about it very long, then find out it was either brilliant (rarely) or something I don't have time to make work properly (usually the case). Or decide at noon to go on a major day trip with the kids. My lack of planning drives the people around me crazy, especially DH, who won't do much of anything unless it was planned at least a day in advance.

My kids don't mind so much. I know some kids thrive on routine, but I've always considered it a handicap to rely too much on following a routine, so I consider it good for them to experience this and learn how to change plans mid-stream. Spontaneity is healthy!

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MicheleMomof4 said:
ROFL Oggie cracks me up.

Yea, I think having this many kids you kind of have to be planning and organized. I mean cause I am severely outnumbered here, LOL Any chance of chaos and they see it as a sign of weakness and might form a mutiny. I just think that when I am older me and Dh will be more carefree. Right now, its about 'them', you know? :)
God Bless,
Michele

I think you hit the nail on the head Michelle..... DS19 would like a bit of CHAOS as then he wouldn't be held quite as accountable as he is if I was busy thwarting the next attack from the younger ones who smelled "weakness"!! :)

But to be very honest, I like things nice and organized.... and while dear sister in law commented that I have always had schedules and have been very organized, I think its gotten more stringent as I have aged due to the fact that I home school and try to not let ANYTHING sidetrack me from that goal.... (I would feel like an utter failure if I let my children's education suffer due to my "spontaneity"!)

Now, I do foresee a time when DH and I will be down to one or two children and things will be more spontaneous but for now.... I am a MOTH kind of planner I guess!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Spontaneity?? What's that :shrug: ??

NO, I have always had plans, schedules and lists. DH has to be prepared for such things as, even just, going for a visit. He announces: " I want to leave here at __(such-n-such time). We will eat at __(names the place) and arrive around (the time)". And I have to make lists of what we need to take, have on hand and I ALWAYS have to have a cooler and snacks!

But I do remember a time (ONE time) (when the kids were small) dh came in and said "let's go to the beach". I threw things in the suitcase and car and away we went! We didn't know where we were staying, What time we were leaving or how long we were staying..but it was the best beach trip we have ever had and we only had to buy toothpaste (I remembered the brushes but forgot the paste)!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
CJ said:
Crimeny! I guess I'm getting less wise as I age... as I seem to be just as spontaneous as I ever was. Flakey... isn't that what everyone else calls us? :p
Yep, I resemble that remark too. My biggest problem is the lack of time to be spontaneous, not the lack of desire to be so.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hmmm... reading all the replies has me thinking that I was never "spontaneous". I have always had schedules, and responsibilities, and things that had to be done at a certain time.
Fun loving? Oh heck yeah, but that is about it. I love being with spontaneous people. Does that count? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
I was more adventerous when I was younger, had a whole lot more energy and a lot more things that I hadn't already tried. Having to kids late in life has put a bit of a crimp in my "hey lets go do...." by the time you get them ready to go the spontanity has worn off. But as soon as they get out of daipers - spontaneous outings will occur more frequently!

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
For 1/2 my life, I was spontaneous; for the next 1/2 I wasn't. Difference? I was married on the 2nd leg; he was a wet blanket. Just today I *accidentally* drove 3 or 4 miles at 65 MPH on a flat tire; my 88 year old father was with me in my "top down" Geo Metro. I didn't know anything was wrong because in 37 years behind the wheel I've only experienced 1 blowout on the road. I heard something funny but thought the pavement sounded "off". When I realized that sound wasn't normal, I pulled over into a huge, deserted parking lot in an area I don't know. If this had been my 69 MG-B, I could have changed the tire in a heartbeat but I couldn't even get the donut out (factory turned nut) and hadn't a clue where to jack up my gal.

We sat for a bit and then I realized we were not alone! A huge moving van was parked off in the distance; I walked over. A woman was in the cab; we started chatting. Turns out they were moving a military family into a nearby apartment complex where a 53 foot rig wouldn't go and had rented a "shuttle" to transfer the belongings; the "men" were away. We spent a wonderful hour just shooting the breeze until her DH and the crew came back. (Yes, she drives but she's smart enough not to do the lifting.) Who knew a "big rig" came with air? I didn't but do now! Her DH eventually put enough air in my very flat tire so I could make it a gas station nearby where I had the valve stem replaced. Tire is safe for around town but needs to be replaced. (Odd size--I will have to shop it.)

Finished my business for the day and came on home. Cost for my "cheap thrill"? $20 and well worth it. (Yes, I realize we could have been killed but isn't that part of living?)

Okay, maybe I'm not spontaneous...my life is...

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,869 Posts
I am more spontaneous. When my kids got grown and off on their own, and after mom died, I realized if I don't do it now, I might not get the chance later. :) Doesn't matter what *it* is.

So, I took off cross country to meet some folks in person that I only knew on the internet, discovered my best friends, bought a place in the Ozarks, and got goats! :baby04:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I've become more spontaneous as I've aged. I used to be so scheduled that if something came up I had to write it into my schedule before I could do it. All that went out the window a few years ago. Now I do what I want, when I want, and if I don't want to do something, I don't do it. If something comes up, then I just do it without worrying that I should have done something else. I got more done when I had schedules, but life is more fun now. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm more likely to do things because I know that today may be my last and I worry less about what anyone thinks. If I'm on a trip anywhere, I'm still going to turn North and see what is down that road just because I need to. Or South. Doesn't matter. I'm not more organized being a single dad as much as I have less time to make mistakes, but sometimes I've learned to enjoy seeing that mountain of laundry get bigger. Cheap thrill...I know. Or whipping up a big meal for no one in particular just because I can. Leftovers save time for a few days of meals and taste really good to boot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts