As the budget tightens, what cuts have you made ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Apr 16, 2017.

1. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

WE HAVE FOUND THAT THOSE ITEMS WE GIVE UP ON HAVING NEVER SEEM TO BE MISSED. RIGHT NOW OUR FRZRS & PANTRY & CABINETS ARE SO FUL I CAN'T IMAGINE BEING OUT OF ANYTHING EXCEPT MAYBE MILK & BREAD & THE VERY BASICS FOR ANOTHER MONTH.
    WE DON'T BUY CLOTHING SHOES ETC TILL ABSOLUTELY NEEDED. NO PLANS ON REPLAING FURNITURE ALTHO WE'D BOTH LIKE A NEW BIGGER CUSHIER RECLINER... THEY WILL HAVE TO WAIT TILL WE FIND JUST THE RIGHT ONES FOR THE RIGHT PIRCE...SAVING UP FOR THEM.
    WE ADOPTED A CAT OVER THE WKND SO VET BILLS WILL SURELY RISE THIS YR. THO THIS IS A YOUNGER CAT IN GOOD CONDITION SO NO MAJOR HEALTH ISSUES THERE & HE HAS BEEN FIXED & ALL SHOTS & TESTS DONE IN THE PAST FEW WKS. HOWEVER, LIFE ALWAYS HANDS US THE UNEXPECTED & OFTEN THE UNWANTED HOWEVER WE WILL WORK THRU IT LIKE WE ALWAYS HAVE.

vickinell likes this.
  2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

If I can't afford it I do without, no credit card debt. If, for convenience, I do use it,I pay it in full when the bill comes in.
    I don't have cable tv, I bought an antenna that I put in a window and get about 10 stations, depending on the weather.
    I pack my lunch for work.
    I always buy used clothing, except undies.
    Used furniture and household goods too. Fortunately, I live in a area with great used stores.
    I try to do much of the home renovations myself.
    I'm always looking for more ways to save.

kalmara and pixiedoodle like this.

3. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

This is most probably the wrong place to post this and it is dependent an what your actual medical condition is but I try to tell everyone about this because there have been so few really successful medical treatments that I have had that the ones that work still surprise.

If you have osteoarthritis in your joints - hip, knees, shoulder - and cortisone shots don't work as was my situation then you may want to consult your doctor about SYNVISC.

I very skeptically agreed to this treatment in my hip. Incredible. One injection and I have been pain free (that horrible electric shock, take your breath away type of pain from bone grinding on bone) for a year. They say it is effective for 6 months but I certainly did better. I go for another hip shot in a few weeks and both knees after that.

It is very expensive but I never expected it to work this well. I of course told all family and friends and some have had the injection as well and they have had the same results at pain relief.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Roadless, what kind of antenna did you buy? Brand name and where, please.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  5. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

It is called Mohu Leaf ( 60 mile range) . I bought it on sale at Wal-Mart for $ 50.

pixiedoodle and anniew like this.
  6. anniew

Thanks. I'll look for one. I have an old tv with a digital converter, but can't get any stations...but, I'm less than 60 miles from both Binghamton and Scranton which each has a couple of stations, so hopefully that antenna may work.

pixiedoodle and roadless like this.
  7. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

GOT 2 & SOMETIMES 3 DOWN COMFORTERS ON OUR BED AT NIGHT & THE THEMOSTAT IS ON 60 AT NIGHT. THE DOWN KEEPS US TOASTY WARM BUT MAKE IT HARD TO GET OUT OF THERE TO MAKE COFFEE IN THE MORNINGS & LET THE DOGS OUT & IN..THEY DON'T STAY LONG WITHER & THEN WE ARE ALL BACK ON & UNDER THE "DOWN RETREAT". WOW! THOSE BIG DOWN COMFORTERS ARE AT LEAST 20 YRS OLD & I BOT THEM FOR PRACTICALLY NOTHING AT THE OLD PENNYS OUTLET...WOW! HAVE THEY EVER PAID FOR THEMSELVES & THEN SOME! ONE OF MY BEST INVESTMENTS!!

newfieannie likes this.
  8. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

I just took some time and reread this thread....all 6 pages of it. Took my time and not
    my speed reading style and missing half the information.

I have to sit down and lay out the budget for the first 2 months this year. What is going
    out and what coming in. A few extra things, like a vehicle registration , good for 2 years,
    and his driver's license. Guess I better check and see when mine is due.
    We don't have a escrow for our property taxes so I just save during the year and
    then pay in one lump sum when they come due. This year, it maybe half the payment
    in January, and then 1/4 in February, and the last 1/4 in March. Not to my liking with
    interest being added on. We had quite a few different things last year, that bit into
    my setting money aside. Like 4 tires for my truck. Had to get the furnace cleaned and
    checked, 1 x in 10 years isn't bad, but still. Everything is paid on time currently. I
    don't dare get behind on anything. Dang interest or late fees on things adds up.

Got propane in the little tanks filled last May ( 1 day special ) , at $ 6 each.
    Just had 4 tanks refilled and it was $ 55. So that is $ 14 roughly for one tank.
    Quite a difference. And hubby wonders why I scrounged for extra used tanks.
    Can't afford new anymore.

I'm going to be doing a whole lot of mumbling this year.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  9. anniew

move out of New York????

pixiedoodle likes this.
  10. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Oh, no, no. Been here all our lives and family is here.
    We just make do. It's just hard to be retired. Almost like running in place
    and going nowhere.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  11. anniew

where are you in NY? what county?
    I was born and raised in NY, but found this place, the only place I could afford and be within traveling distance to my parents who, at the time, were not doing well. they have since died.
    There are nice areas in NY, but the politics stinks, IMHO, but then, it is no better most places.

pixiedoodle likes this.