Homesteading Forum banner
441 - 460 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had gotten a nook color tablet back in 2013.in which it has a shopping app called out of milk.i find it very handy in everyway possible, when it comes to my spending.it took me some time to learn and to get it set up right for me.but yet,it comes in real handy for staying within my budget. especily seeing how I have a catagory for each place I shop at..I even have a catagory for when I go camping, and another for possible power outages.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Are any of you doing things to bring in extra money ?

I plan on putting in a bigger garden. Hoping to come up with some ideas
what to grow that could be sold. I got a small market that I can take things to.
I plan on doing more canning this year for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I didn't go looking, but was offered a free lance job that I couldn't resist. It involves searching historical newspapers for specific events and that's something I just enjoy. If this one works out there is potential for a few similar assignments and I'll take them. The extra income will go straight into savings.
On the home front, I live in an apartment so gardening is restricted to what I can grow on my balcony, a cozy 5x7 foot space. The apartment above me doesn't have a balcony so I do get quite a bit of sun. For the most part I grow cherry tomatos, chives and a lot of herbs and flowers. There is a cost savings to growing the herbs. Most plants cost me $2-$3. I use a lot of herbs in my cooking and the cost to buy fresh is significantly more. Besides, I just like stepping out on the balcony to snip some basil, oregano,thyme etc. Birds and butterflies find my 12th floor balcony because of the herbs and flowers and watching them is priceless.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
I think I better reread this thread.
Prices are beyond insane on some items.

Trying to think of ways to make a few extra dollars to make sure we
stay current on all bills.
Not even sure there is much left to cut back on anymore.
If we really need it, I put it in the cart, try not to stress when paying the total.
I do , do a lot of comparing prices.
But groceries, gas, and bills are mainly pay them or go without.

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
For the past couple of years, I was enjoying the luxury of an extra refrigerator. SOooo nice, especially during milking months.

I consolidated the two into one this past week, to cut back on the electric bill.

Not using the clothes dryer at all. Everything on the line.

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
We are considering using our phones to access the net on the desktop. We're already paying for phone service, and the internet connection at home is almost $70/month.

We won't be able to stream, though, and it will be harder for me to do my billing, but $70 is a good chunk of change.

Reactions: TxGypsy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I moved into a apartment 4 years ago.in which I have way to much stuff in every room..in which I figured that makes the central heat and air run longer than they should.plus I'm in a situation where I have to move for reasons I won't get into.and because of everything, I've been packing and throwing stuff away. I'm hoping that downgrading the amount of stuff I have will cut down on the Bill's. by allowing Easter and better air flow.in turn ac and heat won't run as long.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Cold water washing and line dry. Have litter of pups .switched to washable potty pads. But with washing and soap not so sure it saves money. But the pups dont rip the cloth one up.
Sales are slow this go round. Guess less people with disposal extra income. 5 months ago puppy sales just about stop. I watch how old and how much puppies are going for on the sales sites. Kinda like watching sales at the livestock auction. Good indicator for the economy

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Saw a cookie shop on FB.
Price for the smores cookies was $ 29
customer said, I can make them for $ 5
owner of the store, said wonderful ! ....we're hiring :)

it was cookie dough flattened, put, a crushed graham on top
on the dough, maybe 1/4 of one...then a marsh mellow, ...wrap the dough up and
around that. Bake. Looked really good when it came out of oven :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Are any of you doing things to bring in extra money ?

I plan on putting in a bigger garden. Hoping to come up with some ideas
what to grow that could be sold. I got a small market that I can take things to.
I plan on doing more canning this year for myself.
I'm working 7 days a week. The bottom will drop out. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
I don't have the time or patience to work anymore.
I keep finding things here to sell.
Not getting rich by any means.
But every dollar helps.
I'm running short on both time and patience myself. Down to one client, and when this person is ready to move on, I'll be bringing in my shingle.

Too much to do on the farm, and the gas to drive to the office is getting to be a real burden.

·
Registered
328 Posts
this one horse,one grocery store mud hole town is getting to me.and so is some of the people here..so I've stated looking for a different city to live in.i think that I've found one.so I'll be making calls next week.i hope the prices there are lower.lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make my own dog food, deodorant, soap. Work every day of the week, but only for three hours, a couple miles down the road. Don't run ac unless it's in the mid-90s, otherwise use fans. Heat with wood. Grow chickens, grapes, figs. Don't chase women or the lifestyle which is marketed to and expected of me. All my vehicles are paid for and half of them are older than I. House is paid for. I would be way ahead but I bought the adjacent property to me and the farm house on it is eating money like a duck eats camel ****. It's all good, though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Buy in bulk, never eat out (and I mean never because you can cook much healthier and tastier food for a fraction of the price), zero food waste.

We've been making tons of stocks from all our leftover bones and scraps of meat, cartilage, etc. and trading the stocks for food or making super cheap stews to cushion food bills.

We also frequent farmers markets and take all the scrap produce to turn into animal feed. We were raising 40-50 rabbits for about $100/month this way. The only expense was alfalfa hay and bedding.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Cold water washing and line dry. Have litter of pups .switched to washable potty pads. But with washing and soap not so sure it saves money. But the pups dont rip the cloth one up.
Sales are slow this go round. Guess less people with disposal extra income. 5 months ago puppy sales just about stop. I watch how old and how much puppies are going for on the sales sites. Kinda like watching sales at the livestock auction. Good indicator for the economy
I am seeing lots of dogs being dumped out in the country (shelter charges a hefty intake fee) a lot more recently. Dog food is going up rapidly like everything else.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Since I haven't been raising grains, and it's only me, it's been more economical to buy meat and eggs until now. That is no longer the case. I'm working on building a 2 section predator proof chicken pen. Materials are not cheap! However if food prices keep trending up rapidly like they have been it will be a good investment.
I can't do much physical labor now or I'd go back into keeping bees. Instead I am going to dust off and service my sewing machines. I've worked as a professional seamstress on and off since I was 17. That's quite a while 😉

441 - 460 of 464 Posts